wierd color when transfering beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breewboy

Reaction score
Hello,

I use a Grainfather and today when i was cooling and transfering the beer it looked like this(has happened before). Have i used too much star san?

20201017_152501.jpg

What style of beer? Pretty normal for unfermented wort to look darker in my experience.

Last edited:
i'm starting to see more posts like these, i want to make a joke and post a pink floyd song. but bit my tongue and want to know what kind of light bulb you're using to see that, just maybe i can have an answer in the future.

Rburrelli: This was a Red Ale, it's not the color of the beer i was wondering about but the streams of purple/blue.

Bracconiere, I was in the garage and actually it can be the light. I will look into this.

jtvann: This was my 7th brew

Almost certainly an oil film. Hard to say without tasting if it is hop oils or a different contamination. Doubt it’s bacteria right out of the boil.

East Kent is rated as having the second highest oil content of the common hops, source - Hop Oils and Acid Rankings - Scott Janish So you would get more oils out than other hops, but the oils do boil below water boiling temperatures, so you would expect to volatilize a large proportion of them into the steam, especially the 60 minute addition. The 15 minute one might leave enough oils present to do that. A couple of other threads have also raised the point that oats release oils as well. Shiny swirls on surface of my beer

StarSan is also suggested as leaving a coloured layer on the surface.

Stonehenge360 makes a good point in that without tasting it, you can't really tell.

i'm left still wondering, what light that shows up under :(

incandecent, flourecent (what temp), LED, candle? :mug: (HPS, halogen, Mercury?)

Back