why you shouldn't multi-task

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rod

beer -just brew it
Reaction score
decided today i would make an all grain porter and some wine and hard lemonade
had a starter jug for each project and nottingham yeast for the porter and lavlin ec 118 for the wine and hard lemonade.
i think i pitched the hydrated nottingham into the starters for the wine and lemonade and the ec-1118 into the beer starter but i am not sure:confused:

then during the sparge for the porter my nice rusty c clamp and clothes pins i use to slow down the sparge came loose and fell into my wort:eek:

hopefully the rest of the day will go better

At least the clamp fell in before the boil, I mean iron is an essential mineral...
What was the OG for your wort, you could have a dry barley wine on your hands. As for the wine... do you have any yeast nutrient? That could be interesting as well. I have yet to have a brew session without some mishap, honestly I think if one went smoothly I'd worry that I missed what went wrong. Oh, pioneers!

About the only problem I see here is Nottingham hitting the ABV wall. The EC-1118 won't hurt the porter, maybe dry it out a little more than Nottingham would. I'd watch your wine & lemonade closely & be prepared to re-pitch it it looks stuck. EC-1118 is very good for unsticking ferments. I'd suggest mixing the yeasts, but sometimes multiple yeasts will result in abrupt flocculation.

Sometimes I'll BBQ in addition to brewing & sampling:p , but slow cooking doesn't take much attention.

i might be ok - all 3 starters were foaming nicely before pitching - but i will watch the wine and lemonade closley - if they slow down too soon i will pitch some more ec-1118
thanks for the support.
ps. og on the porter was 1.062:rockin:

update nov 19 - i must have got the right yeast with the right batch!
the wine and lemonade are still going strong and the porter has just about stopped.
i racked the wine today - it is down to 1.028 from 1.092 to get it off the fruit
it is still bubbling at about 30 bpm in the secondary
on racking the porter it is at 1.016 from 1.062 with a bubble once every 90 seconds. and even swmbo thinks it tastes good even at this early stage.
i will reduce the 8 oz of cocao if i make it again though, was about 3" of "fudge"
in the bottom of the primary. will add hazelnut flavouring at bottling.

Back