Why would beer get darker in the carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corycorycory09

Reaction score
A week ago I made a SMASH 2-row cascade session IPA.

It started off extremely light (maybe 2-3 on SRM scale) but after a week in the fermenter it has clearly gotten much darker (probably 6-9).

Does anyone know what would cause the beer to darken like this in the carboy?

When yeast is floating around it reflects light and makes the beer appear much lighter. Once the yeast drops out the beer, especially in a big container like a carboy looks a lot darker. But it won't look as dark in a glass as it does in the carboy.

There are tales of oxidation and/or infection causing a beer to mysteriously darken, but could it just be clearing? I've found that during Krausen the beer takes a lighter appearance because the tiny bubbles and yeast and sediment mixed in cause the light to reflect back at the viewer.

It tends to look darker in the fermenter because of how much is there. The SRM is meant to be measured at a specific depth or through a certain amount of beer. I think it's like 3 inches. It will also start to look darker as the yeast drop out of suspension and the trub settles. A week is about right for that to start happening.

When yeast is floating around it reflects light and makes the beer appear much lighter. Once the yeast drops out the beer, especially in a big container like a carboy looks a lot darker. But it won't look as dark in a glass as it does in the carboy.

Yup!

It's not just suspended yeast...I've brewed some hazy wheat beers and they were delightfully brilliant in the carboy.

It's just sediment/yeast clearing out. Have you ever stirred up your wort as it's cooling? It goes from a darker color on top to a much paler murky color. No worries, m8

Latest posts

Back