why would a brewer use maltodextrin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppedup

Reaction score
someone had mentioned using maltodextrin to me for adding a little sweetness to a brew, and I also see that homebrew supply stores sell it. But after searching some past posts, and google about it, it doesnt seem like it added any sweetness, and its official description is that is has little or no sweetness, but yet to add body to proccessed foods, or used to add simple carbs to nutritional sports drinks.

From BeerSmith:

Use For: Adds Body
Amount: 6.00 oz
For Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Add To: Boil
Time: 5.0 min
Notes: Malt bases sugar that is less than 5% fermentable. Increases the body and mouth-feel of the beer and adds slight sweetness.

Malto Dexterin is the extract equivalent of dextrin (carapils) malt in the mash for AG brewers: it increases the level of unfermentable sugars, thus giving a higher FG, greater mouthfeel, etc.

I would say carapils (grain equivalent of maltodextrin as cweston pointed out) gives the beer a 'thick' flavour, if that makes sense. I wouldn't say sweet per se. Extra crystal malt and slightly less bittering hops might help for an extra malty sweetness.

The term 'unfermentable sugars' can be confusing (to me anyway). This usually refers to dextrins which are actually flavourless rather than sweet.

has anyone ever added maltodextrin right before bottling with success?

hoppedup said:
has anyone ever added maltodextrin right before bottling with success?

It would require a lot of stirring to insure that it was completely dissolved. The last thing you would want to do when bottling is aerate the beer with all that stirring.

John

well the HBS guy suggested I boil it in a cup of water to santize it and disolve it first, then add to the bottling bucket. just curious if anyone has ever done that and had success or had issues

I've used it on some brews and I liked them. It thickens the beer a little to give it that "clings to your ribs" feel.

Back