why won't my beer flow from the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odin_Brews

Reaction score
I need a fresh set of eyes so to speak to help me figure out what's going on here. I had a keg of IPA and thought it wasn't flowing because of a clogged dip tube. After checking that and ruling it out I hooked up the quick disconnect to another keg which is working fine, same problem, there's just no flow. So I checked and the cleaned the qd and tap on that line and Im still getting the same thing. When I hook up to the keg a bit of beer spurts into the beer line just from the pressure in the keg but it just ain't making it up the line and into my glass.

So what are my suspects you reckon? Time for a new quick disconnect? Anything special to look at with the tap?

Im using NC type kegs, and european style taps with flow control. Thanks for any ideas. cheers

I don't see much else that can be wrong. The QD has to have enough pressure from the internal spring to push down on the center of the keg fitting. I do know that some people might disassemble a QD and forget to put the spring back in (don't ask me how I know this) and cause the problem you are having. That's what I would look at first since you already cleaned the faucet. I have also had a line freeze and create the same problem too.

hmmm...thanks for the ideas but everything looks good. I did take apart and reassemble the qd (with spring) so the only thing I can think is that piece isn't working now, though why it won't work I have no answer. I ordered a new one and hope I can drop that into place and get some IPA.

Make sure you didn't suck some hop debris into the poppet ??? I've had flow issues before from sucking some up the diptube and clogging the liquid out poppit in the post. Maybe that? But if you already had the diptube out I'd think you would've checked that as well. Make sure the diptube isn't to tight against the bottom of the keg?

Sent from somewhere to someone

I had that problem after dry hopping in the keg, I had to cut about 1/2in off the dip tube end and clean out the poppet and dip tube. It was all plugged solid with hops. I still get hops in each pour, thinking I might cut more off.

Here's what I'd do to test:

Connect the Gas line to the keg.
disconnect the gas line to the keg and depress the gas poppet, should get a burst of co2. Now you know the keg is pressurized
reconnect the gas line to the keg and depress the liquid poppet. Should get a burst of beer out the poppet. If you don't, either the pickup tube is blocked, or the poppet is malfunctioning.
If you do get beer out the poppet then the issue is in the tap.

Latest posts

Back