Why use a sight glass on brew kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the sightglass on my Blingmann. I don't bother to calculate sparge water anymore.

Blichmann gives you a small piece of stainless to wedge under your kettle to protect the sight glass and valve from the heat. It got to be a PIA, so I asked my neighbor who welds if he could help modify my Banjo Cooker. Here's the results.

FlameShield.jpg

Like I said - your equipment, your experience.

I'd suggest that if it's not cleaned properly then whatever temp it gets to during the boil won't matter but I don't use one and you do with no problems.

If your experience suggests that they just need a good water clean then your experience is what I would use or recommend anyone else use over my opinion/perspective.

I'm probably being paranoid but that paranoia is based on my experience (of infections, not sight glass on kettle specifically) and that experience has led me to avoid fitting my kettle with a sight tube. I'm certainly not Captain Right and I have been known to change my opinion from time to time as it's not made of concrete.

I wish the term 'LOL' could be left to fester somewhere horrible.

While I appreciate and respect your experience and concerns, if you have never used a sightglass or measured the wort temperature inside the sightglass, you don't really have any basis for suggesting that the sightglass is a possible cause of infection. I can promise you that the wort inside the sight glass will reach at least 160 degrees fahrenheit during a boil, at which temperature pathogens are killed within 20 minutes. I've never heard of a boil less than 20 minutes.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but it just seems that you're fear-mongering on this one. I'm far from overly careful during my boil and I've never had a single infected batch.

Like you said though, do what you're comfortable with. I just think we should all be comfortable with using a sightglass.

I'm not trying to be argumentative either. I am, in fact agreeing with the point that I have no sight glass on my kettle and you do - therefore I accept my concerns may be overstated or baseless. Many people express certain worries about no-chill - it's the ones who hold on to those concerns regardless of countless experiences to the contrary that are irritating.

Fearmongering is a little strong a term. I break apart my ball valve tap at the end of each boil and soak it in sodium percarbonate to clean it. I had presumed it would be wise to do the same with a sight glass and it seems to be an opinion shared by other brewers I know (probably with the same level of non experience of them I have).

If your experience and the experience of others tells a different story, then my presumption either becomes weaker or it falls away. It doesn't become a conviction. I'm capable of changing an opinion when warranted but discussing that opinion is how it happens.

To summarise - you're probably right and I'm probably wrong. Unlike you, I have had infected batches so my caution might be paranoia as stated earlier. If you've never had one, you wouldn't understand the little funeral service I've held for each lost batch.

I love the sightglass on my Blingmann. I don't bother to calculate sparge water anymore.

Blichmann gives you a small piece of stainless to wedge under your kettle to protect the sight glass and valve from the heat. It got to be a PIA, so I asked my neighbor who welds if he could help modify my Banjo Cooker. Here's the results.

Wow. Now THAT is a HEAT SHIELD.

With our 55 gallon boil kettle, it is impossible to get a reading with a hand held thermometer. The steam just fogs up everything. The sight glass and built in thermometer are essential.

No "argument" here but if sightglasses inherently caused infections my email account would be unmanageably filled with hate mail and I'd be in the corner in the fetal position.

Bobby_M said:
No "argument" here but if sightglasses inherently caused infections my email account would be unmanageably filled with hate mail and I'd be in the corner in the fetal position.

I'll be placing another order for a weldless sight glass for my hlt.

-=Jason=-

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Home Brew Talk

Back