Why 'orange' flavor??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwing_al

http://www.homebrewmania.com/
Reaction score
I brew this beer that I call a "hoppy wheat" that I generally like.. but it has a very fruity finish, almost like an orange juice - or an orangy-fruity finish. It's not bad, in fact it's good, but I don't prefer such a fruity finish and I'm wondering how I can tweak it. Can someone please take a look at my recipe and let me know what might cause this effect to be more pronounced than I intended? I know it must be tha Amarillo, but perhaps there is a hop balance I can incorporate for the next time?

thanks!

Ingredients
Amount Name Type #

6 lbs 2.9 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.9 SRM)
5 lbs 0.1 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
7.5 oz Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM)
0.2 oz Amarillo [9.2%] - First Wort
0.2 oz Amarillo [9.2%] - Boil 60 min
0.30 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15 min) Misc
0.2 oz Amarillo [9.2%] - Boil 15 min
0.8 oz Amarillo [9.2%] - Boil 5 min
0.8 oz Amarillo [9.2%] - Boil 1 min
1 pkgs Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 12
1.2 oz Amarillo [9.2%] - Dry Hop 7 days Hops 13

This is why I stopped using US-05/Chico strains. I started tasting that fermented orange flavor in almost everything I brewed with it. Got to where I just couldn't stand it and dumped a couple batches.

I'm 90% certain it's just the yeast. I found it more problematic when fermenting at low temps (60-63 degrees), but it bugged me even on higher temp ferments.

This is why I stopped using US-05/Chico strains. I started tasting that fermented orange flavor in almost everything I brewed with it. Got to where I just couldn't stand it and dumped a couple batches.

I'm 90% certain it's just the yeast. I found it more problematic when fermenting at low temps (60-63 degrees), but it bugged me even on higher temp ferments.

I was wondering about the yeast... I've done a lot of US-05 and it seems like it's a go-t yeast... What yeast did you change to, in order to get a more-tight flavor?

but I agree, I'm suspecting US-05... Just not experienced enough to understand the character of other yeasts.

By the way, I ferment at a consistent 67

Joining in to hear some of the commentary here. I've been toying with a recipe for a "Breakfast Pale Ale" made with some oatmeal and was thinking that i'd love to bring out an orange flavor.

Well Amarillo has a orange taste. I'm drinking a Amarillo pale that we just did and is real orangey. So the hops contribute to it. Also what temps are you fermenting at? The higher temp the more fruity it'll be due to the esters. For an American yeast 66-69 is good. I typically go around 68.

Throw a shot of peach schnapps in it. It'll be like a fuzzy navel, boilermaker type drink.

fuzzy-maker...
boiler-navel...
fuzzy boil...
boiled fuzz...
make my fuzz boil...
fuzzymakernavelboil....

Throw a shot of peach schnapps in it. It'll be like a fuzzy navel, boilermaker type drink.

fuzzy-maker...
boiler-navel...
fuzzy boil...
boiled fuzz...
make my fuzz boil...
fuzzymakernavelboil....

brilliant...thank you

Interesting that anyone is fingering the yeast - considering all that Amarillo.
I use an awful lot of US-05 in brews that never show any orange character...

Cheers! :drunk:

I was wondering about the yeast... I've done a lot of US-05 and it seems like it's a go-t yeast... What yeast did you change to, in order to get a more-tight flavor?

but I agree, I'm suspecting US-05... Just not experienced enough to understand the character of other yeasts.

Yeah, people seem to love it. I wonder if I'm just more sensitive to that flavor. Many people seem to experience it as a "peach-y" flavor/bouquet.

I've been using WLP090 in pales and IPAs a lot, which is pretty tasty, and Wyeast 1968 for bitters and dark beers, but I often just pick one of the harvested strains I've got sitting around for any given beer.

YI've been using WLP090 in pales and IPAs a lot

Winner! SD Super just plain seems to be a superior option to US-05 now if you want "clean ale." Amarillo do have an orangey flavor tho, I usually try to mix various citrus flavored hops (cascade, centennial, amarillo, whatever) - some think this leads to "muddled" citrus flavors, but I think it leads to "smooth" flavors - you gotta experiment more and decide for yourself.

Latest posts

Back