Why need to sanitize for secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thelati

Reaction score
Hello,

bare with me for the basic question please.

My intent is to clear up the sediments after primary fermentation and drink within a month.

Do I need to sanitize if second racking will land in the fridge then be consumed within a month or so?

Everything that your wort (or beer) comes in contact with when it is below 180 degrees F needs to be sanitized.

Everything that your wort (or beer) comes in contact with when it is below 180 degrees F needs to be sanitized.

Thank you.

So even for fermented wine sitting in the fridge? For a short duration? What specifically is the reason?

So even for fermented wine sitting in the fridge? For a short duration? What specifically is the reason?

The reason is that spoilage organisms can be active at fridge temps.

Skip the secondary step altogether. The sediment will settle and it's not that hard to transfer the beer later without disturbing them.

How long would will it stay unspoiled in the fridge?
How big is the container?

If it takes a month to drink it all, the wine will oxidize slowly, as it would in an opened bottle. Over time it may become more sherry-like, or worse, vinegary.

The alcohol will help prevent infections, while the cold from the fridge helps prevent any intrusions that survive the alcohol from growing too fast.

If you prefer to drink clear wine, pour it very slowly and carefully so you don't swirl up the sediment on the bottom.

thank you so much!

I’m using the original juice bottles for primary fermentation - 4 liters - to avoid sanitizing bottles (I am steam sterilizing everything else) as I currently don’t have access to starsan or similar no rinse sanitizer. But now that you explain it, each bottle will be consumed in 2-3 days while the other bottles will stay unopened in the fridge with an airlock,..

so with this setup, Is it fair to assume the wine I the unopened bottles will stay unspoiled? And continue clearing?

Any other suggestions?

Yeah, if the juice was fermented in it's own bottle and the headspace was kept sanitary during the process, they should be good for refrigerated storage. You can probably cap them instead of leaving the airlocks on. As they chill in the fridge the volume will contract a bit, sucking air in, or even the content of the airlock, depending on the type you used. the S-type won't suck the airlock liquid back, they just bubble backwards, the 3-piece once may.

Great!

So capping then slow pouring from one of bottles should ok for a few days..

While the remaining capped and unopened bottles in the fridge should last a lot longer.. is that right?

Latest posts

Back