Why my element is producing soot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidpl

Reaction score
Hi Homebrewtalkers,

I have an ULWD element with 2KW and made of steel (according to the manufacturer).

I've tested the element at least 3 times in tap water and it always produced soot on it's surface and got dirty the water. I've attached a couple of pictures.

I'm not an expert on electric topics, so...could anyone help me with a reason to that?

Thanks a lot.

image-2969676576.jpg

image-152760132.jpg

Do you have a link to the specs on the element? That might help someone with a bit more knowledge than I help you out. That said, if it is decent quality stainless steel that should not be happening. Perhaps there is some type of coating, or oil, on the element.

The element was elaborated by the manufacturer, supposedly, followed my spect: made of stainless steel, 2KW and a density of 20 w/in^2

I've washed some times the element with dishwashing liquid and rises its very carefully, to try to eliminate any oily residue, but the soot appears agains.

Some people have said me that element's surface maybe need a Nickel-bath, but I'm not sure about this.

Does this element need an specific kind of stainless steel or a Nickel-bath?.
The Camco's elements have a Nickel-bath?

Thanks a lot.

Maybe something in your water is reacting with the element? Not sure that is the issue but it's worth looking at. Maybe try to boil a couple of gallons of distilled water to see if that's the cluprit.

Does the coating form while in the water or after the element dries? If it's after then it's not stailness steel. If while in the water then there is some sort of chemical reaction going on.

That element you have looks a lot like the heater I use to keep our horse water tank from freezing in the winter.

You are in a rabbit hole my friend. This problem is solved quickly with a $20 bill and an order to Amazon for a new element that is known not to soot up. They ship to Chile :)

Back