Why is my honey ale sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkMerosier

Reaction score
So I've been holding off posting this for weeks, hoping that the longer my honey ale sat in the bottles, it would get better. Well, it isnt. So here's the story/question.

We made a honey ale from a kit. We followed all the directions. We sanitized the living crap out of everything. And after several weeks in the bottles, and then several MORE weeks in the bottles, it has a sour smell/taste. To the point where I find it to be unpalatable. We used tettnang hops, vanguard hops, 8 oz carapils, 3 lbs of clover honey, and 3.3 lbs of gold LME. 4 weeks in the primary as well. We also used s-05 yeast, which is the closest I can point to for a potential taste like this. Any ideas, suggestions, stories similar? I don't think or know if it could be infected, and I'm reluctant to say it is because of the many posts of "no it isn't" that I have seen on here. Any help is awesome and appreciated.

It sounds like a possible infection. Sometimes, even after being completely careful, you can get an infection. I'd wait a little longer, sometimes, the infection can mellow out, but if not, I'd say throw it out and learn from the experience.

Latest posts

Back