Why is commercial beer getting more expensive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pretty much refuse to pay those prices for beer.

Everything rolled in (equipment and ingredients), I'm running about 50 cents a beer for my homebrew, and I think I make pretty decent beer, and I make a lot of hop-heavy IPAs (+Belgians, + Porters, + EPAs. ++++).

I've paid $10 a bomber a couple off times to get sour bugs, but my limit is about $5 for a bomber and that is rare.

I bought some Celebration Ale recently $17 for 12. Also found a deal at Jungle Jims for Sierra Nevada Cases off mixed beers foe $10. Bought 4 cases. Since I mostly drink my own, this should last me thru the holidays.

I can't figure out who is buying all this beer at these high prices that manages to keep it viable for the brewers to sell at this price. I can't believe the 'average Joe' is buying much of it - BMC and the like is a lot cheaper. You either have to have a real love for these beers to be paying $2.50 (and up) for a beer, and this can get very expensive very fast. Or you have so much money that it doesn't matter.

Where I live (Edmonton, Canada) a 6 pack of Sculpin costs about $28, and we just finally got Sierra Nevada products here for about $22 per 6 pack. Stone is in the $20+ range too. Deschutes about $19 per 6 pack. Most 6 packs are in the $12-$20 range. It's just the way it is here. I can't afford to buy those beers all the time, but I will splurge every now and then because frankly it's the only way to try them here.

Man I feel for you. Those aren't even the splurgee beers did you see my post $10 a beer that would be like 30 there. I remember wine was expensive in British Columbia

Ballast Point's Sculpin sells for $16 a sixer here in San Diego, where it's brewed!!

I can only imagine what it costs once you get out of town. They're very proud of that beer I guess. I don't think it's that good.

I agree i didnt like it as well but people do! 14 $ here.

Up here in northwest Alaska:

IMG_20150429_133242-beer.jpg

amateurs....:D

A bottle 12 oz. of decent beer, say leffe blonde, brewdog punk ale or sierra nevada hop hunter is about 4€. That's ONE bottle.

Guess why i homebrew? :tank:

I guess we're getting pooned in New England...regular "macro" craft is $10.99-$12.99 a 6pk on the regular, includes Sam Adams, some Otter Creek, Lagunitas etc...locals "craft" with more macro-craft approaches are $18.99 for a 12pk. Local, higher end stuff (Rising Tide, Bissell Brothers, Foundation) seems to favor cans, and are $12-17 for a 4pk of tall boys, with one of my favorites Maine Beer Company coming in with 16.9oz bottles for $6-8. Treehouse et. al is getting $3.25-$4.75 a can for tall boys you can only get while waiting in long lines (absolutely worth it IMO), with purchase limits of 4-8 cans per type depending on availability.

Every week I can't help myself not to buy at least one 4 pack of tall boys of my new go to BOOM SAUCE from Lord Hobo.

$13 and I've seen the same 4 pack for $15 other places. Hurts

I usually have this in my fridge...Really good, but all over the place in terms of taste. Differing from batch to batch. Do you find that as well? Seems like blending complicates things in terms of baseline flavor consistency.

I usually have this in my fridge...Really good, but all over the place in terms of taste. Differing from batch to batch. Do you find that as well? Seems like blending complicates things in terms of baseline flavor consistency.

My friend works in Woburn and stops in often. They are all over the place with it for now, but they're starting to get their recipes right. Keep your eyes out for a beer called Steal This Can. It's one of the 3 beers that are blended. A batch they made at the end of September is great, and the first they are distributing. So that one is locked in now. I recommend stopping in there to taste all three and talk to the brewer. It's on my to do list.

Back