Why does a production brew foam over?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joebagodonuts

Reaction score
I bought a 6 pack of Sam Adams Longshot - (the home brew contest winners), last weekend.
It's been in my fridge un-disturbed for the week.
I took out one of the Lemon-pepper saisaon's yesterday and opened it up and it erupted all over my bar.
Later, I opened the second one, makeing sure I was really careful with it so that I didn't shake it at all, but it erupted also.
I've had this happen before with a production beer but it's rare - (I think it was a Seirra Nevada that time.) Does anyone know why - or how - a production beer will foam over like that? It's not bottle conditioned so it's not a priming sugar issue, or conditioning time issue.

wow. sure sounds like gusher infection... Let the brewery know - they may appreciate the data point, and they might make it worth your while. maybe free swag.

I've only had that happen once with an Atwater beer. unfortunately I was in the living room when I opened it and ended up with a trail of beer across the carpet as I ran to the kitchen. I blame it on a gusher infection.

This would be almost unheard of in a place like Boston Beer Company. Not something that I would expect form a Saison either.

There's more than enough CO2, even in a bottle that's okay, to cause a foam-out, but two in a row does sound like an infection. I'd notify the brewery.

doug: Ok, uh, we found this mouse in a bottle of elsinore beer that we bought at your beer store, eh? And we heard that when that happens you get your beer free.

Bob: It's in the canadian criminal code, eh. Like there's legal precedence set in cases in law.

Doug: So, like give us our free beer.

:d

The only time I have ever had gushers was when I stored the beer in the fridge on it's side. After a couple of bottles gushed I turned them upright for awhile and everything was good. Call me crazy.

joety: ...pissed off the wife. Now that's funny. I hadn't thought of that.

You know, reading the last post - the bottles were stored on their side. I wonder if it's related.

Back