Why do you have to boil wort 60 min?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xeiboz

Reaction score
If you are just sterilizing the liquid, only need a light hop addition, and want the beer to turn out very pale( low in color. Why not just boil for 15 to 30 min? Just asking....

You don't need to boil for 60 minutes if you are only doing a light hop addition. If your longest hop addition is 20 minutes, only a 20 minute boil is necessary.

You don't. James Spencer of basic brewing radio (podcast) does a 15 min pale ale. Only 15 min boil with all hops additions within that time. More hops needed to get the bitterness desired, with great hop flavor / aroma. Here is a link to the video

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=may-26-2011---15-minute-american-ale

I've never done this, but have done a 30 min boil pale ale, my own recipe albeit very simple.

15-Minute Late-Hopped Simcoe Ale
Description

This is a perfect beer for a quick brew day. There's no need to boil extract for more than 15 minutes, and adding lots of hops near the end of the boil give bitterness and loads of flavor and aroma. Hopheads rejoice! (Five gallon volume)
Ingredients to add as water is heated and removed when temperature reaches 170°F
1 lb. 60L Crystal
Ingredients to add at the start of the boil (malt extract, bittering hops, etc.)
6 lbs. Light Dry Malt Extract (total boil time = 15 minutes!)
Ingredients to add fifteen minutes before the end of the boil (flavoring hops, etc.)
2.5 oz. Simcoe Pellet Hops
Ingredients to add five minutes before the end of the boil (aroma hops, etc.)
1.0 oz. Simcoe Pellet Hops (5 min)
.5 oz. Simcoe Pellet Hops (Flameout)
Add after wort has been cooled to pitching temperature
Safale 05, White Labs California Ale Yeast, or Wyeast 1056
Instructions
Dry hop with 1.0 oz. Simcoe Pellets in secondary
OG 1.055 FG 1.014
ABV 5.4%
(Your mileage may vary)
Submitter
James Spencer

You don't need to boil for 60 minutes if you are only doing a light hop addition. If your longest hop addition is 20 minutes, only a 20 minute boil is necessary.

That's true, for extract beers. Extract doesn't need to boil, so you only are boiling for hops utilization. If the hops are added late, the boil only needs to be as long as the longest hop boil time.

For all-grain, things are different. All grain beers DO need to boil for a variety of reasons like killing any lactobacillus that may have been on the grains, to coagulate excess proteins, to drive off unwanted volatile compounds (DMS precursors), to boil off excess water and increase the gravity, and so on.

boil time is determined by your hops, in extract brewing and AG. If you like malt liqour, like me for ex. then with extract a short boil is nessasry for sterilisation. For AG youll have to read on, I only have brewed with extract up till now.

boil time is determined by your hops, in extract brewing and AG. If you like malt liqour, like me for ex. then with extract a short boil is nessasry for sterilisation. For AG youll have to read on, I only have brewed with extract up till now.

It's not limited to a low to no hopped malt liquor. The 15 min boil will require larger hop additions (compared to 60 mins boil) to get the bitterness desired.

I did it my first 2 beers,got too much fruity hoppiness and not enough bitterness.I fermented too high so that didnt help much either.I would try it with high aau hops and extract with a good amount of hops,wich im shure thats what that pale ale was.I think its called hopbursting in all grain for boiling 60 min but only adding all the hops the last 20.
I would use a brew calc. to determine your target amount of ibu's you want.

Back