Why do I keep making beers that I don't like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgentHubcap

Reaction score
The last 3 beers that I've made, I haven't liked. I made a brown ale that ended up way too weak. I'm told that is the style, though.

Next was a raspberry ale that is way too tart. Once again, my friends like it, but I don't.

Last, I made a german Hefeweizen. Turns out I don't really like that german hef yeastie taste. I was expecting a blue moon type of taste. :confused:

Why do I do this to myself?!? :mad:

Blue moon is a witbier. It has a different taste than a hef. So just look for a witbier recipe instead

First off, what do you like to drink?

Secondly, why not try making a basic pale ale with Wyeast 1056 instead of anything too interesting... I know that when I started I was super into trying to brew something new and different. I soon realized that basic recipes and good technique are usually better.

For example:

6 lbs Amber DME
1 Oz Centennial 60 min
1 Oz Centennial 5 min
Wyeast 1056 American Ale in a starter (see mrmalty.com and pitch at 65)

3 weeks at 65
Bottle for 1-2 weeks at room temp (I've found that 1056 carbs crazy fast!)
fridge for 5 days.

Easy to brew, easy to drink pale ale. This will not leave you a very yeasty flavor as 1056 is very very clean.

I should add that the first 5 batches I made were awesome. I somehow got in a mode where I wanted to try new stuff and it didn't work out for me. I have since started doing more "beer research" before trying something new.

My favorite beers that I've made were my Honey Wheat, and my Prehistoric Amber (that I'm now making again). I've decided that I am going to try and stick to two recipes that I really like and use my third fermenter as my experimental vessel. The fourth fermenter that I have is a 1 gallon demi-john that I use to brew cider and such for the wife.

You can brew a bunch of different recipes, just don't worry about making crazy complex recipes. Simple recipes and good techniques will produce fantastic beers. Experiment with new recipes, just don't worry about making the chocolate chipotle coffee porter aged on oak for 70 bazillion years etc, etc. some will think up. Simple is not bad. Have fun!

Latest posts

Back