Why are my bottles not unifomaly carbonated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
It makes sense that the priming sugar wasn't uniformally dispersed. That said I boiled a half cup cane sugar in two cups of water, then let it cool. I put this in the bottom of my bottling bucket and then racked
the beer into it with an autosiphon. I've read this is the best way to mix it up. WTF?

Also not all beers taste the same, some have a much fruitier taste than others. There doesn't seem to be any coorilation between carbonation level and off flavor. I boil my bottles and then use starsan in them and on the caps.

Thoughts?

I had the same problem. I tried your approach and the layered approach. I stirred gently in both cases. I eventually moved to kegging and eliminated the carbonation variance.

I still notice differences in taste from one glass to the next. I attribute this to the state of the palate at the time of drinking

I don't think you need to stir the beer in the bottling bucket. If anything you run the risk of introducing excess oxygen or maybe even random bacteria. Even if not all my beers are correctly carbonated, the carbonation of the batch as a whole is uniform.

Back