Why are drip trays so expensive???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
seriously, it’s a metal grate with no moving parts, and some out there cost as much as a good co2 regulator.

Sorry about the rant folks. Nearly done building a 4-tap wood-paneled keezer for our our dining room, and all I want is a 16” drip tray; this appears to be the straw braking the camel’s back ;)

This is why I just lay a small folded towel on the ground under the taps. I don’t understand it either, but be on the look out on the For Sale forums because they’re easy to ship. I’ve missed a couple by a few minutes.

This is why I just lay a small folded towel on the ground under the taps. I don’t understand it either, but be on the look out on the For Sale forums because they’re easy to ship. I’ve missed a couple by a few minutes.

Thanks, brother Amadeo38, and that's a good idea! Think I'll start out with the towel and upgrade if a tray comes up on the forums. Cheers!

I didn't want one of those things hanging off the front of my keezer. Instead I opted for a stainless speed rail and lined it with paper towels.

https://www.barproducts.com/speed-rails-single-bar

Bonus was that when I had berliner weisse and or soda water on tap I also had a place for flavoring syrups between taps.

I wonder if slots have a lower splash-factor than holes
They do, it's the curvature of the ridges that helps prevent splashing.

Mind, you need to find a way to mount the drip tray. You really can't drill holes in the keezer's skin, there are condensor tubes everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well since the question is Why are drip trays so expensive I will try and tackle that one.

A few things to consider is the tools needed to actually do the work properly. AND how those tools have to be moved around to actually bend the parts. The shop will need what is called a finger brake and will need 2 of them IF they want to set up to do any kind of production. 1 will be for the sides and the other for the front/back then once it is actually bent it needs to be welded cleaned up. THEN you have to do the same thing for the insert. then drill holes etc etc etc. I look at them most of the time and say to myself "how can they make these so cheap" ha ha ha ha... That being said. I don't have one on my keggorator either...LOL

Follow http://www.homebrewfinds.com/. I found a good deal on this tray, for like 20 clams.

20181005_190639.jpeg

Well since the question is Why are drip trays so expensive I will try and tackle that one.

A few things to consider is the tools needed to actually do the work properly. AND how those tools have to be moved around to actually bend the parts. The shop will need what is called a finger brake and will need 2 of them IF they want to set up to do any kind of production. 1 will be for the sides and the other for the front/back then once it is actually bent it needs to be welded cleaned up. THEN you have to do the same thing for the insert. then drill holes etc etc etc. I look at them most of the time and say to myself "how can they make these so cheap" ha ha ha ha... That being said. I don't have one on my keggorator either...LOL

Hey, thanks, Jaybird!

Here's a way to add a drip tray to the side of a keezer without drilling. I use magnetic paper towel holders which provide a great deal of support, and then a couple of smaller magnets just to hold the drip tray against the pt holders.

You could do something similar with a wood tray inside of which was a stainless drip tray, or there are many other ways to make this work.

The bottom pic shows my original setup with uglier :) magnets. The container has 8# of cast bullets, so it will hold a full glass and then some.

BTW, the bottom pic is an optical illusion; the taps are 3" on center or 12" total, and the drip tray is 14" long.

driptray.jpg
driptraymagnet.jpg
driptraymagnets.jpg
driptrayweight.jpg

I retired a couple of years ago and now have fixed income. As luck would have it, I discovered the brew hobby around the time I retired. Therefore, at home, practical comes before pretty. Seeing the price of the nice drip trays, I just went into the garage and made my own. The floor stays clean, and the drip “trays” are very easy to clean.
IMG_6425.JPG

Damn impressive pics! this how the other half lives....

Just got this tray for $30 off ebay shipped...

100_0488.JPG

and the holes in the fridge door are from when i was experimenting with using a aquarium pump in the two drawers, and trying to make some sort of 'poor mans' glycol chiller for a long run line...didn't work :(

edit: it's blurry. but that's a toothpick in the back to keep it from rattling when the fridge is running... lol

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for all these, folks! They're giving me tons of ideas.
I wish I could use the magnets, but mine is about to be covered in plywood, but I'll be able to attach with screws.

I ran into the same thing when building my bar. Quite the sticker shock. I just figured I would buy it once and cry once. Almost a year later I would call it a sound investment. Easy to clean and look as new as the day the UPS fairy delivered it.

Go to Amazon and search for “magnetic tool tray” and will find cheap metal trays of various lengths that stick perfectly under faucets on a keezer. I tiled mine and just put a folded paper towel in it. View attachment 591526
This is the same tray that i have, Put a folded paper towel in it and it works quite well.. Magnets are strong enough to hold a full pint of beer, Good and cheap...

You don't have to mount. I put a small bookshelf in front of my keezer to hold the drip trey and various other things like glasses, huggies, misc. kegging parts. Works pretty good but my keezer is in the garage so WAF was low. That drip trey was found on a restaurant website for less than $25.
9dQLmWH.jpg

mine is removable and that's a good point you need to keep the bottom cleaned out or gnats will invade, if it turns to sticky glue it's really hard to clean

Exactly why i upgraded to this one i have now, last one was just some sheet metal i folded into shape duct taped to the door. Had **** growing like the bottom of a cave in it, AND NATS! figured 30 wasn't too much for something i can just take off every week and wash....

Latest posts

Back