Why 22oz?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I've been wondering this one for a while and figured that I might as well post it and see what happens. Why are 22oz bottles so popular in the US? :confused: I don't seem to find any imported beers in them, only domestic. I get it that 22 oz is 650 mL, but that still doesn't explain it. In fact that makes it even more confusing since they are domestic. There are other sizes of bottles out there, why 22oz?

12 oz (350/355 mL) is the standard beverage serving size, at least in cans and bottles
16 oz/pint (0.5L) is a standard serving for beer around the world
24 oz (700mL) 2 12 oz servings
25.6 oz/fifth (750mL) Standard wine/liquor bottle
40 oz ... Well 40 is just a nice round number :D

So why 22 oz The amount doesnt fit into any standard glass. A pint glass holds only a pint up to the top. A 0.5L glass has a little head room but not enough to hold the whole thing. What gives? :confused:

Question #2 - Anyone know where to get a 22 oz glass? :p

I've wondered the same thing about 22 ounce bottles. It's an odd size. I personally don't like them because I don't like to drink that much at a time.

I guess my "pint" glasses are a little different from yours. Mine hold exactly 20 US fluid ounces filled to the brim. I can fit a 500ml beer (16.9 oz) easily unless I pour a very big head. In that case I have to pour, sip and/or wait, then pour the rest.

I have 25.5 ounce mugs too. I can fit a 22 ounce beer in them if I avoid getting a big head, but I usually use them instead of my "pint" glasses for the 500ml beers when I want to pour a comfortably large head.

I have 24 of the pint glasses that live in one of my freezers. I have 6 of the 25.5 ounce mugs that live in another freezer. Besides those, I have a couple of smaller mugs intended for 500ml brews (about 20 ounces) and three (was four before I broke one) tall pilsner glasses. They hold 22.5 ounces filled to the brim, so again, they are great for the 500ml brews with a good head.

The six 25.5 ounce mugs I got at a local overstock / dollar store (Big Lots) a few months ago. Their stock turns over a lot, so I doubt they have them anymore. The "pint" glasses I've had for about five or so years, and the pilsner glasses I've had for more than ten years. I don't recall where I got them.

When I said pint glass I was referring to the straight sided ones that have a volume of 16 oz. I know that there are "pint glasses" that hold a pint + head, but I know what you mean.

I looked up beer bottle on the wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_bottles and this is all it had on 22oz bottles:

"A "bomber" is a 22 ounce (650ml) glass bottle that is commonly sold in American speciality markets and brewpubs. Bombers typically contain two to three servings of beer, which may be shared amongst friends. They are also a popular bottle type with homebrewers. A 22 is commonly known as a 'deuce-deuce'."

BTW, I've never heard a 22oz bottle called a "deuce-deuce." Who are the retards that edit the wikipedia entries? :p

Brewsmith said:
BTW, I've never heard a 22oz bottle called a "deuce-deuce." Who are the retards that edit the wikipedia entries? :p

LOL. I'd expect someone to punch me if I ever said that.

And for this fact, a 22 is 2 or 3 servings of beer? Excuse me, what planet are they from so I know to never ever ever ever go there.
:drunk:

Ize

I don't mind the size, I just have to make sure I'm prepared when I have one that's in the 10%abv range. My stash of barleywines and special releases is starting to increase. Maybe I should have one of my bottles of Stone Double Bastard soon...

Thanks for the beer glass link, Ize. Now I know that what I've been calling my pilsner glasses are really Weizen glasses, and that my "pint" glasses are Nonic (Imperial), except they don't have that unsightly bulge. (I, however, do.) My 25.5 ounce mugs don't look much like those Seidel mugs either. Mine are smooth and straight-sided, not fat and dimpled. (I, however, am.)

I like 22 oz beers. It seems like a single serving to me! Besides, if I ever bottle, it makes for roughly half the work in comparison to 12 oz-ers.

I love bombers, but I'm learning to only bottle stuff that SWMBO likes in them as well. It gives me just enough beer in two pint glasses if I leave a little bit of extra head.

Brewsmith said:
I've been wondering this one for a while and figured that I might as well post it and see what happens. Why are 22oz bottles so popular in the US? :confused: I don't seem to find any imported beers in them, only domestic. I get it that 22 oz is 650 mL, but that still doesn't explain it. In fact that makes it even more confusing since they are domestic. There are other sizes of bottles out there, why 22oz?

12 oz (350/355 mL) is the standard beverage serving size, at least in cans and bottles
16 oz/pint (0.5L) is a standard serving for beer around the world
24 oz (700mL) 2 12 oz servings
25.6 oz/fifth (750mL) Standard wine/liquor bottle
40 oz ... Well 40 is just a nice round number :D

So why 22 oz The amount doesnt fit into any standard glass. A pint glass holds only a pint up to the top. A 0.5L glass has a little head room but not enough to hold the whole thing. What gives? :confused:

Question #2 - Anyone know where to get a 22 oz glass? :p

At my pub, we use 23oz pilsner style glasses for our Wednesday special. We call it Big Dog beer night. A lot of area bars do the same thing and call it big ass beer. These are perfect for the 22oz "deuce deuce bombers."

I have a couple at home that I use for Aventinus when I get it. Great for the big fluffy head.

Amazon.com sells the glasses here, but I'm sure you can find them all over the place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yuri_Rage said:
I like 22 oz beers. It seems like a single serving to me! Besides, if I ever bottle, it makes for roughly half the work in comparison to 12 oz-ers.

Yeah, but I like seconds! Two 12 ouncers or two 16.9 ouncers still has a 22 ouncer beat.

But wait, I could do seconds on 22 ouncers .... hmmmm

I've always called them "brown bombers".

22oz is roughly 2/3 of a liter. I always assumed thats where the size came from.

I usually bottle a case for parties and for splitting with my wife. Speaking of which, I ought to pop a couple in the fridge.

22 oz. fits in a schooner just fine. Near as I've been able to find out 22 oz. was the king size, before 40's were invented.

22 oz. = 500 scruples (look it up)

david_42 said:
22 oz. fits in a schooner just fine. Near as I've been able to find out 22 oz. was the king size, before 40's were invented.

That's one I've never heard of. But everything I google up on it suggests it is a unit of weight, not volume.

david_42 said:
And how long ago were scruples a current unit of measure. David, I know you're older than me, but I didn't know you were that old. :D

Well after doing a little more research, I'm not much further from where I started on the subject. Like flubdubman posted above, it seems that some malt liquor producers added different sizes to their lines inbetween the 12 and 40 oz bottles. Colt 45 added 22 and 32 oz bottles to the line. I guess from that stand point, 32 oz is a quart (a nice round figure) and that puts 22 oz exactly half way between 12 and 32 oz. Does that make sense enough?

Double deuces came out to keep you just below the alcohol limit--less than two 12oz. beers is what I've been told don't think it had anything to do with glass size or anything else

Back