Who's the Greatest Band EVER!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Israelites by Desmond Dekker gets alot of play on my old seeburg jukebox.

He's always one of my go-to's. Him, Toots and the Maytals, Jimmy Cliff, heptones, skatalites... basically anything that was coming out right at the time reggae was just coming out of ska.

I'm not knocking one of the best rock/blues players, but this is about BANDS. This disqualifies a lot of great artists who were solo acts.

This is a hard topic because there are so many bands who were awesome for their own thing. One may be fantastic at songwriting, another for passion, another for fun...

I think the one thing they all have in common is that they were greatest when they were young. I think growing old limits your ability to create and express yourself. You start wanting to preach ideals and can't seem to "let go" like you could when you were young.

or maybe it's because they are usually off drugs by that time...

Let's see, he toured with a drummer, a bass player, usually a keyboardist, and often a brass section.. And that's not a 'band'.... I get it, so you mean bands that were not named after their front man?

I guess that leaves out bands like Dio, Dokken, Lynch Mob, clapton, etc?

LOL.. What the hell kind of logic is that?

PS.. IMO, Gary's best work was his last album, "SCARS".. That guy got better and better with age...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLDKnWi2hNA]Nyan Cat - 24 Hour Edition - YouTube[/ame]

This is all I listen to.

Let's see, he toured with a drummer, a bass player, usually a keyboardist, and often a brass section.. And that's not a 'band'.... I get it, so you mean bands that were not named after their front man?

I guess that leaves out bands like Dio, Dokken, Lynch Mob, clapton, etc?

LOL.. What the hell kind of logic is that?

PS.. IMO, Gary's best work was his last album, "SCARS".. That guy got better and better with age...

If his "Band's" name was "Moore", then I'd agree. But it's not. It's Gary Moore, and his backing band.

But you'd say "Hey, let's go to the Dio concert this weekend and get wasted!" Because that is the BAND'S name (which happens to be the lead singer's name.)

Moore's band isn't call Gary Moore, nor is it called Gary Moore. That is his name only.

I didn't set the criteria for this poll.

P.S. I disagree about his last album. nice, but not his best. I actually like several songs off of some of his earliest albums better. His last stuff sounds too polished to me. And amazing as he is, I can only listen to so much of those blistering blues licks. It's just not my thing.

So many good bands in this thread. Rush and Maiden form back in the day for sure!! I was fortunate enough to see Maiden last summer in DC......Bruce Dickinson sounds the same today as he did twenty years ago. Great show!!

I also agree with the OP......it's real tough to beat Tool by today's standards. I love Tool, but I'm also a pretty big Sevendust junkie. I've seen them at least eight times. Four of them in very small, up close and personal venues. (rock)

Back