Who's had the Sam Adams Longshot winners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quercus

Reaction score
I saw the six-packs in BevMo today...read the box, but didn't buy one.

Who's had them, and what did you think? Bummer about McDole's IIPA not getting made this year, but hopefully SA will make good on it next year.

SA did make a small batch of the IIPA, and sent a keg out to a local watering hole here in the Bay Area...I guess 200+ people showed up to drink it!

I've had them both and thought they both sucked. I knew the Grape Pale wouldn't be my style, but the Weizenbock had me hoping. It was pretty bad...

Bought the six-pack tonight and tried the Grape Pale Ale. I didn't sit down and do a formal review yet, but it's pretty good.

I haven't yet, but my brother did and he said he had low expectations for the grape but he ended up liking it. He said it was like a lesser version of Rogue's Juniper Pale and that the grape was very slight. I'll probably pick up a 6'er when I run into it.

Agreed about the grape ale, I was not expecting much from it. Honestly I thought it was going to be a fruity dry ale, but it ended up having a real malty backbone to it with a fair amount of body. Again, if I wasn't told there was grape in there, I never would have known. I haven't had a lot of weizenbocks before, but the one included in the six pack isn't my favorite. Ironic isn't it, that the most popular and possibly most drinkable beer in the winners circle wasn't made at all! I'd give my left nut to try McDoles IPA, if only to get a little closer to Pliney the Elder (us east coasters have only heard it's name whispered in dark corners...)

mike

MLynchLtd said:
Agreed about the grape ale, I was not expecting much from it. Honestly I thought it was going to be a fruity dry ale, but it ended up having a real malty backbone to it with a fair amount of body. Again, if I wasn't told there was grape in there, I never would have known. I haven't had a lot of weizenbocks before, but the one included in the six pack isn't my favorite. Ironic isn't it, that the most popular and possibly most drinkable beer in the winners circle wasn't made at all! I'd give my left nut to try McDoles IPA, if only to get a little closer to Pliney the Elder (us east coasters have only heard it's name whispered in dark corners...)

mike

Agreed...I'm sure they're both great beers, but no doubt a real hop-bomb would have rounded out the package nicely.

Speaking of packages...Russian River Brewing will begin bottling Pliny the Elder later this year. Not sure what the distribution will be like, but it seems to be getting better all the time.

Hey, when the time comes, I'll send you a case of Pliny for a case of Dogfish Head 90 minut IPA. :mug:

Just tried the grape pale ale, got a single from my local hook :p
Very drinkable beer, but really tasted like drinking white zinfandel to me. The wife loved it, but I will stick with BEER beer!

Quercus said:
Agreed...I'm sure they're both great beers, but no doubt a real hop-bomb would have rounded out the package nicely.

Speaking of packages...Russian River Brewing will begin bottling Pliny the Elder later this year. Not sure what the distribution will be like, but it seems to be getting better all the time.

Hey, when the time comes, I'll send you a case of Pliny for a case of Dogfish Head 90 minut IPA. :mug:

That's a deal man, I'll even throw in the 120 min just to be crazy :)

But if you want a daily drinker, the 60 minute is perfect. Maybe a mix pack with some of each. I'll include my firstborn in there too, just to be sure the Elder makes its way to the east coast :D

mike

Just bought a 6'er last week. Here are my thoughts

Grape Ale: What a waste of a spot for a real home brew recipe. Why they let employees get a spot in the 6 pack is beyond me. Thats because an employee is going to produce a very "Sam" flavored beer....which is exactly what this is. This is very similar in flavor to a Sam Pale Ale and really nothing groundbreaking. If grape is the name of the beer, I want to taste the grape. You get a slight bitterness of a green grape but nothing else. If I was given the beer in a blind test and knew nothing about it, I would tell you its a Sam product but I'd also say its an average beer. 3 out of 5

Weizenbock: This was the one I was locking forward to because I've never had this style of beer. Over the years, it has somehow eluded me. Having no knowledge of this style, I can't comment on how authentic it is. However, I literally puckered upon my first sip. The clove aroma/taste was overpowering. It didn't have a good finish to it and probably could have benefited from less hops. Not a well balanced beer but maybe thats how the style is supposed to be. I'm ignorant. I did manage to drink all 3 within a couple of days as I don't like to waste beer. Perhaps with some minor recipe changes this could easily be a 4 out of 5. However, rates about 2.5 our of 5 as is.

I'm drinking the grape ale now. I think the grape was well done, very light and not at all artificial flavored. Maybe I'm just in the mood for a pale ale but I really like this. Is it groundbreaking or an all-time favorite? Heck no, but its a solid brew. Maybe it shouldn't have won any contest, but I like it.

Wow, everybody here really seems to like the grape ale!

I didn't care the the grape ale at all, and loved the weizenbock!

:confused:

MLynchLtd said:
That's a deal man, I'll even throw in the 120 min just to be crazy :)

But if you want a daily drinker, the 60 minute is perfect. Maybe a mix pack with some of each. I'll include my firstborn in there too, just to be sure the Elder makes its way to the east coast :D

mike

No left nut or firstborn required when you could have just drove down to DC or Philly for the occasions when Pliny was on draught over the past couple years....and yes, it's as good as you have heard:fro:

I havent' had either yet, but I did finally see them locally. I was going to get it, but then I saw Grape Pale Ale and I put it back. That doesn't even sound good.

brewt00l said:
No left nut or firstborn required when you could have just drove down to DC or Philly for the occasions when Pliny was on draught over the past couple years....and yes, it's as good as you have heard:fro:

What occasions are those? I've heard penn is starting to become a real beer destination, but more because of their belgians. I didn't know they got west coast stuff there. Tell me the name of a pub that serves Pliny on tap within 8 hours, and I'll pack the microbus right now!

mike

Well, my taste might not be as discerning as some of you guys, but I liked them both. My girlfriend and I are only our 8th batch right now after all. I thought the weizenbock had good body without being overpowering and the grape pale ale is a really nice summer brew. I'd buy this again if it was available. For $7.99 a 6 it's a good deal to me.

MLynchLtd said:
What occasions are those? I've heard penn is starting to become a real beer destination, but more because of their belgians. I didn't know they got west coast stuff there. Tell me the name of a pub that serves Pliny on tap within 8 hours, and I'll pack the microbus right now!

mike

You're a couple months late....IIRC, the last PA keg was kicked in December. I've posted a few times about it being on tap around here.

The word is that RR distribution outside of CA is on hold until the new brewhouse is online but that it should resume sometime around April. DC and PA have been the only places to get RR distribution up to now. We have it better than you know down here. :ban:

I just want to update since I revisited the Weizenbock. I thought the bottle I had might have been mishandled, as I couldn't see S.A. selling something that crappy. The new bottle was fine and I thought the beer was pretty good. Obviously not Aventinus, but good all things considered. Now I'll wait for them to make good on the DIPA...

I just saw the 6'er yesterday and picked one up. Gonna sample one, or two, maybe more tonight.

ohiobrewtus said:
I havent' had either yet, but I did finally see them locally. I was going to get it, but then I saw Grape Pale Ale and I put it back. That doesn't even sound good.

When I first saw the box and the "Grape" I was going to put it back. I eventually convinced myself to go ahead and buy. I'm having the first of the three "GPA"'s now (6:30 pm EST) and I actually kinda like it. And like MLynchLtd said:
MLynchLtd said:
Agreed about the grape ale, I was not expecting much from it. Honestly I thought it was going to be a fruity dry ale, but it ended up having a real malty backbone to it with a fair amount of body. Again, if I wasn't told there was grape in there, I never would have known. mike
it was the same for me. Maybe my palette isn't sophisticated enough yet?!?:cross:

MLynchLtd said:

mike

Pack that bus!!!!

This Saturday:

Event Details:
We are proud to present an all day affair featuring a collection of the finest hop induced ales.

Green Flash West Coast IPA
Sierra Nevada Celebration
Drafting Room 13th Anniversary Ale
Lagunitas Maximus
Bear Republic Racer 5
Dogfish Head Aprihop
Lagunitas Hop Stoopid
Russian River Pliny the Elder
Victory Harvest Pils
Avery the Maharaja
Dock Street Rye IPA
Sly Fox Sterling
Chouffe Houblon Dobbelen
Boulder Mojo Risin
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Founders Devil Dancer
Troegs Nugget Nectar (Cask Conditioned)
*Special Draft Appearance by Great Lakes Brewing*
Line-up subject to change

http://www.draftingroom.com/spring_house/sh_home.html

believe me I've tried to get my buddy to go with me, but no go. four hours to PA is no problem, it's the four hours back after a ridiculous amount of drinking that's the issue :) I'd go, but I don't feel like being the weird guy who drove all day to go drink and then drive home. Patience, or a plane ticket to the west coast, seems to be the answer. orrrr.....a coast to coast trade? Dogfish Head is in my backyard ;)

mike

Back