Who's flooded?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was wondering how you guys were doing up there. 3 hours south, my yard could use more than just the little bit we got.

Ize

We finally got some rain here today. I can't remeber the last day it rained.

Hope everyone is high and dry. I really hate flooding, I have know too many people that have had their homes flooded.

It looks like my wet basement woes are finally behind me. All the rain we had and my basement is bone dry. *knocks cautiously on wood*

Lots of water North and Southeast of me. I'm in a pretty high spot so the flooding doesn't really ever bother me. I know the reservoir about 6 miles West of me is filling up fast. Heard there are about a dozen counties here that are disaster areas. Sounds like things are gonna dry up over the weekend, so that should help.

Our new house had a little issue. The neighborhood took a lightning strike from the microburst and power was out for 4 hours. The battery-backup for the sump only lasted 2.5 hours so the house took a little water the night before we closed.

Bernie Brewer said:
It looks like my wet basement woes are finally behind me. All the rain we had and my basement is bone dry. *knocks cautiously on wood*

I'd been in our house for three years and hadn't seen a drop of water.... until this spring. No (or very little) standing water, just enough to remind me that finishing the basement isn't really viable right now.

I've always lived on hills, so real flooding has never been an issue for me. Hope the new house's basement doesn't get too wet for you!

the_bird said:
I'd been in our house for three years and hadn't seen a drop of water.... until this spring. No (or very little) standing water, just enough to remind me that finishing the basement isn't really viable right now.

I've always lived on hills, so real flooding has never been an issue for me. Hope the new house's basement doesn't get too wet for you!

We live on a hill, too, but we still had seepage into our finished basement. Even drain tile didn't help. The trick was to put a catch system on the INSIDE of the basement wall with a sump pump. The water still seeps in, but is drained and pumped away with no problems.

Oh, and Cheese, if you have frequent power outages, you might think about getting a good generator with a transfer switch.

I remember considerable problems with the basement flooding as a kid in Illinois.

I'm near the top of a hill about 150 feet above the creek and 3000 feet across the flood plain. As slick as the mud can get here and the clear cutting last year, I have other concerns come rainy season.

Serious droughts in NC. A lot of the summer crops are dead, watering restrictions, restaurants are not permited to give you water unless you ask for it, the trees are dying, and the golf courses are irridescent emerald. ...:confused:

Back