Who's brewing today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Finally I have a free Sunday where the weather is cooperating. Sunny, blue skies, and 72 degrees in the middle of February here in Austin.

I just milled 25# of grain for 10 gallons of Stone IPA Clone. HLT is up to 150 degrees and climbing.

It's gonna be a good day! First brew day since 1/1/08.

I'm not brewing today, but did get a chance to eek off a Baltika Porter Clone, A AHS Peach Wheat & a Fat Tire clone last thursday. ALl 3 are bubbling away very nicely & stinking up the house.

I just finished a batch of your Pale Ale but used Summit hops to see how it compares to the cascades.

I am doing mini mash's and apparently i hit 85% efficiency when my last 2 batches were around 68%...

It's a beautiful day here as well. Only in the 40's but sunny and clear. I'm going to be busy cleaning out and arranging the garage though, so no brewing for me.

I tried your Haus Pale yesterday as my first all grain attempt. It was a lot of work but I loved every minute of it. Thanks for the recipe.

If it were up to me I would bottle my IBA (brewed on 10/29/07) which has been aging for quite a while and then next weekend I'd brew my Rogue Mocha Porter clone.

I've got a three month old son and SWMBO really wants all the help I can give her which is about 2hrs a day on weekdays and all day and night on weekends. It looks like I'll get that IBA bottled next weekend though. I'm going to try to enlist the help of a friend for a six pack so bottling becomes more definite.

Hows that for payment, help with bottling for a six pack?

I brewed yesterday as well. A simple ale with Willamette hops and "Cry Havoc" yeast. I am curious to see how it comes out.

Brewing my first ever decoction mash here in michigan today where it's windy and raining, but not too cold...yet...It'll be a dunkel (kinda) when it's done, wish me luck!

Just got done brewing an American Wit, not too bad. 65% efficiency, but I am sure that was due to the crush, last time I did a beer with grains from the same company..got really low %.
Time to get my own mill.

What a fun day though.

I didn't brew today but I brewed yesterday. My friend and I made a Strong Scottish Ale. We were aiming for an OG of 1.120 but only hit 1.110. Still I'm pretty happy with the results. Can't wait to taste it in a few months.

I brewed yesterday as well. Wasn't an all grain batch though. I did my first extract batch. Did a Honey Amber Ale kit from Midwest. I have to say though, all grain is much easier and way more relaxing for me. I felt stressed the entire time as I felt rushed for some reason. I can say, I am really glad I started brewing all grain.

I have 5 gallons of your Haus Pale, and 5 gallons of Cheese's Caramel Ale in the fridge crash cooling, will put those in the kegs in a day or two, and the wife is taking off on a trip tomorrow morning, so I hope to brew at least three nights this next week after work. Get my Blue Moon clone and my Edmund Fitzgerald clone done, and finally do my first all grain, a Redhook ESB clone.

I'm brewing a batch today and another tomorrow. The "today" batch is done. Just ran out of light to do the next one.

I can't brew until I free up at least one fermenter, so that means no brewing for two weeks:( . But all was not lost - today I made some experimental batches of "bappir" bread, as for my next brew I'm going to try making a batch of historical Sumerian beer, following the recipe that Anchor Brewing came up with. The bread was made from crushed barley grain, wheat, dates, honey, mustard seeds, coriander and radishes - it was incredibly dense (as it had no yeast) but it tasted pretty good. For the historical beer, these loaves will be mashed in the oven, then the wort filtered through a reed basket, and fermented with some (as yet unspecified) kind of yeast. I'm not sure how an entirely hop-less beer is going to come out, but I look forward to finding out.

Edwort, From the pictures of your freezer you have enough beer to soak the whole town of Bee Cave. I bet your beer is great because it is well made and aged a long time. That's what I try to do. I always keep some in the pipe. :)

This nOOb brewed his 3rd batch on Sunday outside in the same nice 72 degree weather. I did the AHS Weizenbock recipe mini-mash. Fermenting like gangbusters this morning, after pitching a 1 quart starter of the WLP300 last night.

A bit worried about the OG though. Actual was 1.051 vs. 1.070 expected.

Still waiting to taste my 1st batch that is currently bottle conditioning at room temp.

I brewed up a Bohemian Pilsner yesterday. Just a 5.5 gallon batch that I managed to get 6.5 gallons out of. Hit 91% efficiency too. Should have boiled longer but oh well.

I'm making a starter today for the Oktoberfest I'm planning next.

WBC said:
Edwort, From the pictures of your freezer you have enough beer to soak the whole town of Bee Cave. I bet your beer is great because it is well made and aged a long time. That's what I try to do. I always keep some in the pipe. :)

Actually it is empty now except for about 20 gallons of Apfelwein and 5 gallons of German/American Imperial Stout. I gotta keep brewing to fill the puppy up before summer starts.

It's amazing how fast beer goes when you start getting requests for parties, brew fests, etc.

i'll be thinking about brewing today while Im drinking.

President's Day......I got a paid holiday today

I have President's Day off, warming up my mash water right now! This will be my second all grain, after tasting my last all grain as I transfered it into the secondary I don't think I'll ever go back to extract brewing. Making a Guinness Clone today :)

Rainy and warm (55 F) here in Vermont. Hoping some of the snow will melt. Banks are up to the eaves in some places and blocking our first floor windows.

Finishing up an Amarillo IPA... ready to dump it into the fermenter and pitch the yeast.

vtchuck said:
Rainy and warm (55 F) here in Vermont. Hoping some of the snow will melt. Banks are up to the eaves in some places and blocking our first floor windows.

Finishing up an Amarillo IPA... ready to dump it into the fermenter and pitch the yeast.

Same over the border, but mostly sunny. Perfect weather for brewing, but I'm stuck in the office prepping for an early-week meeting... :mad:

Saturday/Sunday brew session 5 gallons of Maibock and 5 gallons of Irish Ale. The crush on the Maibock grain was too fine and resulted in a 14 hour sparge (the decoction probably didn't help any either). The Irish ale went smoothly, but in all it was a 22 hour brewday.:tank:

note: I did have the help of two of my roommates and another one of my friends.

b33rm3 said:
Saturday/Sunday brew session 5 gallons of Maibock and 5 gallons of Irish Ale. The crush on the Maibock grain was too fine and resulted in a 14 hour sparge (the decoction probably didn't help any either). The Irish ale went smoothly, but in all it was a 22 hour brewday.:tank:

note: I did have the help of two of my roommates and another one of my friends.

Holy CRAP! 14 hour sparge? That's madness.

I think I might have bit off more than I can chew today, I'm trying two batches in one day. I have the day off so I might as well do a little work!

Baja Honey wheat and a premium American lager.

I have the mash almost done on the lager, at 11:30, with 30 more min to go. I figure Ill try to mash the second while i boil the the first, but i bet it's going to be like driving two cars a once. A lot of stopping and going but you never really get any where!

Brewed a slightly modified version of Ed Haus Pale Ale with 2 oz First Wort Hopped Cascade then 1 oz each 10 min and 1 min of Amarillo.

I brewed the Boont Amber Ale from Beer Captured today. I did AG but missed the OG by 9 points...mine was 1.050 and should've been 1.059.

The last three batches have been half batches at 2.5 gallons each and every OG has been off by a significant amount. When I was doing 5 gallon batches I'd hit the OG just about dead on. I'm still trying to figure out why it's so low.

Made 10 gallons of Saison ain't So Farmhouse Saison today. No issues except with my hop bag.

Back