whoops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddo97

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I brewed a Tart of Darkness clone that was designed as a 5 gallon batch. I had some extra grains laying around so I decided to bump it up a gallon and maybe increase the ABV. I used Wyeast 3763 roeselare blend with an airlock' but quickly had to swap it for a blow off because the fermentation went nuts. After about a week, I went back to an airlock so the total time in the fermenter was 22 days (two weeks at 65 and a week at 67). I transferred it to a carboy for aging today and ended up getting about 5 3/4 gallons. The OG was 1.094 but the FG ended up being 1.026. I had already transferred the beer to the secondary by then so i couldn't let it sit for another week so I convinced myself that it was ok and chalked it up to the extra ingredients outweighing the final volume. I harvested the yeast (for the first time-yay!) and put it in a 1.3 widemouth with an airlock and within an hour, the jar of sludge had active fermentation going. It's been happily bubbling along for 4 hours or so. Obviously i'll wait until it's done before i transfer it to mason jars and put them in the fridge but what should I do about the beer? There's no airlock activity going on so I can either do nothing or add some yeast. I have a pack of US-05 in my fridge as well as a vial of Brett Lambicus that I could add to see if that'll kick off a secondary fermentation.

I gave my fermenting yeast about 36 hours to stop bubbling and got 4 healthy looking mason jars of sludge for my next sours. I still haven't done anything with the ToD batch but at this point am leaning towards nothing or possibly pitching Brett. The 3763 has two strains of Brett already in there so shouldn't that finish up fermentation given enough time (say a year or so)?

Back