Whoops! Primed, then straight to kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OG_IBU_Bunghole

Reaction score
Out of habit I primed a keg with 1/4c turbinado yesterday (just dumped it in, not dissolved). But, I had an open spot in the kegerator and put it right in the fridge. I didn't think anything about it until I pulled a pint today and it was very sweet. I know the lack of carbonation has a big effect on perception

but...
Is that enough sugar to make it taste sweeter? and, if so, will it settle to the bottom on come out in the first few pints? (the beer finished at 1.005 yet definitely tastes sweeter than other beers I've had uncarbonated)

or...
Should I just pull the keg and put it in the 75deg house to carbonate for a few weeks?

That's plan B, I was just hoping plan A (keep it on tap and the sugar gets sucked out of keg in first couple pints) would work :)

Slightly off topic, but I've been considering keg-conditioningwith my new keezer set-up, and I was wondering how much of a yeast cake you get in the bottom of the keg and how that works with pouring it..? Should I cut the "out" tube so it sits an inch or two off the bottom of the keg if I go the keg-condition route?

Plan A worked out fine.

A lot of people cut the diptubes. I don't bother. The first couple pints are full of sediment. Sometimes it goes cloudy again if I shake a keg moving it. That problem might be worse when cutting the diptube, though, because there will be even more sediment left to get suspended. I don't bother with secondary, either, unless I'm adding fruit or something.

Slightly off topic, but I've been considering keg-conditioningwith my new keezer set-up, and I was wondering how much of a yeast cake you get in the bottom of the keg and how that works with pouring it..? Should I cut the "out" tube so it sits an inch or two off the bottom of the keg if I go the keg-condition route?

Hello ruger988,
If you are using the keg as a secondary, it works great, when you take your first pull you will only need to toss out about the first 5oz, then after that everything else should be clear.

I let my kegs co2 up @ 36 deg for 10 days @ 9 psi before I take my first pull, if your fast force carbing it you might get different results than I do.

I do not cut my dip tubes.

If you are using it as a primary ? all bets are off !, as you mentioned the yeast cake, if you are using it as a secondary/age/conditioning you will only get a little crud in the bottom of your keg.

Hope this helps !

Cheers :mug:

Oh, I thought he was talking about priming the keg. I still just lose a pint or two. I have a big glass just for that and I just fill it until it runs clear.

I am pretty sure that the sugar will stay in solution if mixed properly as it is water soluble. I would definitely warm it up for at least a week and let it ferment out completely.

Back