Whole Pumpkin Pie in brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob4jc

Reaction score
I really want to make a Pumpkin Ale with a real whole pumpkin pie in the brew! I cant find anyone online that has tried it. I mean just throw a whole pie in the wort. Is there maybe an issue with some of the pie ingredients (milk, eggs, etc)? I would have to do additional spices to taste in secondary, I guess, as you couldnt define how much was really in the pie already. Thoughts?

I have no idea, but if you need someone to sample this experiment, I can give you my address to ship a few bottles. I think your biggest hurdle will be figuring out how much fermentable sugars are in the pie and then compensating for that in your recipe. I don't think the milk/eggs will be an issue since it is cooked during the baking of the pie, and the alcohol will prevent other bad things from happening with it (just like Irish Creme). I say give it a go!

Yeah, I'm not sure how the shortening/oils from the pie crust could work out.

What you maybe could do would be to use wax/parchment paper in place of the pie crust? Basically make a pie without a crust, then throw it in the boil.

One thing I always do is add a pound of lactose to my pumpkin ale to give it that milky/creamy flavor/sensation that mimics the texture of the pie, and, of course, the whipped cream.

whichever way you do it be sure to tell us the results! :mug:

I'm definitely gonna try it! Working with my LHBS, Brock's, to figure out fermentables. Planning on a Harpoon UFO clone as my base. Look at clones on this site and let me know what you think if you have time. On my phone, so hard to paste links. Thanks for the advise!

I'm planning a Pumpkin beer with DFH Punkin Clone as the base that i'll be adding some graham crackers and lactose to so I think adding a homemade pie would be fine.

I really want to make a Pumpkin Ale with a real whole pumpkin pie in the brew! I cant find anyone online that has tried it. I mean just throw a whole pie in the wort. Is there maybe an issue with some of the pie ingredients (milk, eggs, etc)? I would have to do additional spices to taste in secondary, I guess, as you couldnt define how much was really in the pie already. Thoughts?

No offense, but this sounds like a really terrible idea. I mean, go for it...I'm curious to hear how it goes. But I know if one of my friends asked me, in person, what I thought of this idea, I don't know if I could respond seriously to it.

This is a hilarious idea. I say go for it!

The worst that could happen is it turns out awful and you've wasted the time and ingredients.

I am definitely for real! I am an extract brewer, so no mash. But I brew in an old keg with a strainer filter valve thing (make sense?), in the bottom of the kettle.

Might not turn out as expected. Boiling and fermentation have a strange way of altering flavors. Especially eggs, dairy, oils/shortening, artificial junk.

Thoughts?

Believe it or not, I was thinking of trying the same thing, but didn't want to make a thread about it unless I did it.

My plan was to buy a big pumpkin pie or two, cut it into one inch cubes, drop it in paint strainer bag and then rack the mostly fermented beer on it. I would add some spices too.

Then I said to myself, "why stop there?" Put the pumpkin pie inside a pumpkin and rack on that! :ban:

I was thinking of making a non-spiced base beer and splitting the batch in half for the pumpkin stuff. I may never get around to actually doing this, but I want to.

Shortening will melt then reform on the top of the fermentor? Might want to use a bucket to skim it off?

IDK, havent heard any strange things like that from several people crushing graham crackers in thier brew... But I guess it could happen.

Go for it, but what really makes a pumkin ale is the spices - the pumpkin does nothing for it.

I've been julliening my small sugar pumpkin in the mash for years and it always turns our well

You need to do this for two reasons:

1. You've already broken the seal by mentioning it - no turning back
2. What risk is there to having a little fun?

Still moving forward! Buying supplies from my LHBS (Brocks Homebrew Supply) tomorrow and plan to brew Sunday. He said he had a guy put an entire birthday cake in a brew and it turned out great! This is very encouraging.

Still moving forward! Buying supplies from my LHBS (Brocks Homebrew Supply) tomorrow and plan to brew Sunday. He said he had a guy put an entire birthday cake in a brew and it turned out great! This is very encouraging.

You have to do it. With all the concern of fat you could at least step things down a bit by utilizing applesauce where ever possible. Might help reduce the oil slick potential. I would highly advise you make the pie from scratch though. Avoid not knowing what is in you brew and what preservative might harm your yeast. You might also want to use a campden tablet with you wort+ the pie and an airlock for a day like the wine guys do to reduce the risk of inoculating your wort with something from your pie. Might want to refrigerate it during that period as well. I am no expert but I think I might just do this myself as soon as the sugar pumpkins start popping up in the markets. Good luck and please keep us posted!

How do you think the eggs & dairy will react to boiling & fermentation?

Do it!

I was going to suggest, why not just assemble the ingredients for a pumpkin pie, minus the crust and minus anything with fat, and put them into your boil. But then I realized this suggestion sounds exactly like the hundreds of pumpkin ale recipes already out there. And where's the fun in that? Half the point is being able to say you threw an entire pie into your brew.

TyTanium said:
Except make for a hot, sticky mash that burns like napalm.

Try julliened sugar pumkin raw in the mash - got the tip from the brewer that makes by far the best pumkin ale - will Meyers

Do it in the name of SCIENCE! And all of us that don't have the yarbles to do it ourselves. I'll be watching this thread like a hawk. Wonder what it would do in the mash?

Do not be troubled my friends, brewing this beast tomorrow morning! I am making the pie tonight. Store bought crust. I found that Graham crackers have all the same ingredients as the crust, so no risk reduced by making my own. I will make my own filling. Using organic canned pumpkin. Omitting the eggs. That just leaves cream, sugar and spices. I will report once it is in primary tomorrow with a YouTube link of pie submersion!

The pie has been baked.

ForumRunner_20120908_002138.jpg

YES!!! This is great.

I'm thinking of other possibilities:

Banana Bread Abbey Ale
Baguette Brown
Twinkie Cream Ale
Chocolate Eclair Stout
Urinal Cake Adjunct Lager

YES!!! This is great.

I'm thinking of other possibilities:

Banana Bread Abbey Ale
Baguette Brown
Twinkie Cream Ale
Chocolate Eclair Stout
Urinal Cake Adjunct Lager

Um, I believe that last one is not a new idea. King of beers...hello?

This does open up a whole new realm of confectionary matchups though.

International series:
Flantastico-Modelo Especial brewed with Flan
Peronolli- Peroni & Canolli
Struedelsteiner

Regional Series:
Clam Adams- Sam Adams and Clam cakes...what? Oyster Stout is legit. Why not clams?

Had a Cherry Lager last night that had a hint of fresh cherry pie (a little sour) at the end. Was actually pretty good! And ST Creme Brulee Stout is insane!

Oh my God, you guys are crackin' me up.

I made a pumpkin ale using real pumpkin a few years ago. Cut up the pumpkin, scrape out the seeds, sprinkle some pumpkin pie spice on it, bake it, put it in a mesh bag, let it steep with specialty grains if using, and allow pumpkin in bag to remain in boil kettle. Make sure you use pellet hops; they will stick to the bag/pumpkin a bit. When you use the pumpkin to make the pie AFTER brewing, it will be the best danged pie you ever ate IN YOUR LIFE!!!

Anyway, good luck with your experiment. And your pie looks delish!

Back