Whoa , this is interesting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a homebrew shop in the greater Sacramento area that does this. It's great. Grab a pint then grab your supplies.

There's a homebrew shop in the greater Sacramento area that does this. It's great. Grab a pint then grab your supplies.

Maybe I'm not fully understanding this. I live in California as well. So your telling me a homebrew store can sell beer ?

Looking at it closer it says for consumption elsewhere. I can't see them selling the beer they brewed and bottled .

Isn't that the whole point of "A brewery supply store may be on the same premises as a brewery.” ?
They can run a brewery and sell out of the same premises as they supply store.

In fact, I suspect if they were to sell beer produced elsewhere that'd be a whole 'nuther licensing path that this proposal doesn't cover and possibly restricted (in MA each town has a prescribed maximum number of possible liquor outlets, for instance)...

Cheers!

Isn't that the whole point of "A brewery supply store may be on the same premises as a brewery.” ?
They can run a brewery and sell out of the same premises as they supply store.

In fact, I suspect if they were to sell beer produced elsewhere that'd be a whole 'nuther licensing path that this proposal doesn't cover and possibly restricted (in MA each town has a prescribed maximum number of possible liquor outlets, for instance)...

Cheers!

Yes I get the same premises as a brewery , but a brew store doesn't have a license to brew . Maybe I'll stock up an extra room with brew supplies get my buisness license and sale beer that I've made as well . There's no way thats going to be legal .

Yes I get the same premises as a brewery , but a brew store doesn't have a license to brew . Maybe I'll stock up an extra room with brew supplies get my buisness license and sale beer that I've made as well . There's no way thats going to be legal .

Depends on where you are at...Like i said we have this already in CT...you need to go through the TTB and all that stuff to legally brew the beer. I'm not quite sure what the big deal is.

Ah - ok, I get your point. And having witnessed first hand the trials and tribulations of an actual lhbs trying to grow a brewery and tap room (that ended tragically) I know the actual brewery part needs to go through the federal, state and local licensing and permitting, even if the lower levels pretty much fall in line with their respective approvals.

That's not how it worked (or didn't) here. It took more than three years of flogging the authorities - particularly the most local level - that cost way too much time and money to ultimately succeed. They eventually got all of the licenses and permits, had the brewery running and the tap room up, but the cashflow had been flowing the wrong way too long for it to avoid collapse.

Tough row to hoe these days...

Cheers!

Depends on where you are at...Like i said we have this already in CT...you need to go through the TTB and all that stuff to legally brew the beer. I'm not quite sure what the big deal is.

That's cool . Here in California it's costly and there's a bunch of red tape and hoops to jump through to get a brewery going.

The shiny stuff is trivial. It's the regulatory stuff that's expensive. Strange Brew had to tear up their premises to install all kinds of separating walls, plumbing, drainage, curbing, power and lighting to meet all the different code requirements. The shiny stuff they bought used (and at that point it's like used cars with epic depreciation)...

Cheers!

My wife's cousin has been going through the process for a while now . He's in for over 250k at this point . He hasn't brewed a drop there yet .

Maybe I'm not fully understanding this. I live in California as well. So your telling me a homebrew store can sell beer ?

Looking at it closer it says for consumption elsewhere. I can't see them selling the beer they brewed and bottled .
You know what Jag, I was wrong. Its technically two businesses in that were in the same building and owned by the same guy. The brew supply eventually moved across the street. Not sure what the reason was except for maybe expansion of the brewery. Either way its damn handy to have.

This has been slowly churning in NY for about 2 years now. And I have supported it through the many different bill numbers. My friend owns an LHBS and what this would do is allow him to sell beer made by a brewery. His plan is to sell growlers of local brews. No on premises consumption or selling of beer he brews

Not beer they brewed and bottled but commercial beer just like any other store with a liquor license. You would be able to pick up a sack of Maris Otter for your next homebrewing session at home plus a sixer of Sam Adams on the way out.

The unintended side effect that I see with this is that now every 7-11 and grocery store that sells beer can now sell homebrew supplies on the side. What will that do to your LHBS?

Which shop is this? I don't live that far away.. might need to check this out! Also, I think this is what another one in Modesto does too that's called Renegade Brewing Supplies. At the same address there is also a Desert Fox Brew Co.

The unintended side effect that I see with this is that now every 7-11 and grocery store that sells beer can now sell homebrew supplies on the side. What will that do to your LHBS?
Yeah, maybe , no, I don't know. A local Hy-Vee, an Iowa/mid-west grocery chain tried to sell hbs and it didn't last long. In my opinion a hbs has to have somebody that know at least a little bit about brewing and they didn't. That and the prices were higher than any mail order with shipping added. As far as convenience stores, I don't think the profit margin/turnover would be enough to devote floor space to it. Then again pop. density could be a factor also. My 0.02 worth.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

My old HBS in Tampa, FL brewed beer and sold it. I would get my supplies and have a couple of pints. One of the brewers there eventually opened his own brewery in St Pete. This was in 2011-2012 timeframe.

We have one like that here in Georgia called Schoolhouse Brewing, you can stop in get a pint, pickup some needed supplies and talk shop, cool place.

The current NY law allows grocery stores, drug stores and supply ships on Lake Erie to sell beer. The new law would simply add brewery supply stores to that list.

Listermann Brewing Company and Paradise Brewing in Cincinnati brew and sell beer in addition to having a brew store. Both started out as brew supply stores. Listermann sells for onsite and offsite consumption. Paradise does "glass, howler, growler, 1/6 BBL and 1/2 BBL."

There's only 2 places to buy homebrew supplies here in Cleveland. Cleveland Brew Shop, which is a full-service homebrew shop with a small "bottle shop", and Warehouse Beverage, which is essentially a beer and wine store with a small selection of hombrew equipment and ingredients.

In Saskatoon in Saskatchewan Canada Paddock Wood brewery sells homebrew supplies in their brewery store where you could buy their beer as well. They had lots of grains and it was always fresh when I bought it. I usually bought supplies and beer.
In Campbell River, BC I have been told Beach Fire brewing sells grain to homebrewers (I haven't bought grain there), they deliver beer to your house, so maybe they would bring brewing supplies with your order?
In Canada lots of grocery stores sell a small amount of beer and wine making stuff - usually kits that its hard to know how long they may have had them. Of course in most provinces in Canada grocery stores and convenience stores don't sell beer, so its a different issue as far as competition. That was one thing I liked when I lived in Chicago, was serious sales at the grocery store or even the pharmacy on big brand liquor

There's only 2 places to buy homebrew supplies here in Cleveland. Cleveland Brew Shop, which is a full-service homebrew shop with a small "bottle shop", and Warehouse Beverage, which is essentially a beer and wine store with a small selection of hombrew equipment and ingredients.

Brew Mentor just did a major renovation to a brewery/bar, that also sells homebrew supplies.

Back