Who should I buy brewing equipment/recipes/grain/etc. from online and why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeastMaster

Reaction score
I have a few good homebrew stores here in the San Diego area and so far my brewing buddy and I have been buying all our supplies locally through them or Lowe's/Home Depot. Occasionally the selection is a little disappointing and so are the prices. I'm all for supporting local businesses but there are somethings I'd rather just order online and have it arrive in a few days, hopefully saving some cash.

I guess what I'm really asking is who do you guys order through normally and why? Obviously sponsors for this site are at the top of my list to try since I've gotten so much good info here, but it would be nice to know who has the best deals on what.

Thanks guy and sorry if that was a little long winded.

cliffs: who has good deals online on what?

I order through Austin Homebrew most of the time; I love their selection, flat rate shipping, and they ship out amazingly fast. And I have had nothing but great service from Rebel Brewer.

Northern brewer is great, but with brewsaver shipping it takes a bit. But who cares how long it takes for about 40 lbs of grain, 4 better bottles and various other stuff when its 7.99 flat rate!

Morebeer, Austin Homebrew Supply or Northern Brewer for equipment and or kits, if I'm doing a recipe I've made I hit up Brewmaster's Warehhouse.

When I have a big order or particular equipment I want, I compare with these sites:

Morebeer ( Free shipping on most over $59 )
Brewmasterswarehouse ( 10% off discount code plus flat rate $6.99 )
Northern Brewer ( $7.99 flat rate shipping )
Midwest Supply
Austin Homebrew Supply ( Free Shipping over $100 )

Usually I do the order on all and compare the prices. Sometimes it works out cheaper to split the big orders between vendors to get the best overall price.

I shopped around quite a bit and found Midwest supplies to have the best price on the package I wanted even with shipping fees. I also ordered a couple of brew kits but can't comment on them yet as they are still in the pipe.

I tend to search all of my favorites for the best availability and pricing. Not all of the sites have the same specialty grains.

Here's my list:
Specialty Grains and equipment
Midwest Supply
Austin Homebrew Supply
Rebel Brewer
Brewmaster's Warehouse
Farmhousebrewingsupply
Equipment/parts
Chicompany
bargain fittings
Kegconnection
Keg Cowboy

I usually go by proximity. I have gone to brewmasterswarehouse because I can get my order in a few days since they are in GA. I have ordered from Austin Hombrew with good results as well, just takes a little longer from TX. Farmhouse is very fast too, as well as a member of the community. His hops prices are great. Kegconnection also was very good to do business with.

I've found midwestsupplies.com has the best prices and a great selection. It also gets to me really quickly (usually in about a week), but I'm in pittsburgh, not all the way out in california.

I buy almost everything local. When you factor in shipping, plus the 10% discount you get for being part of the North Texas Homebrewers Association, it works out cheaper than online.

OK, you're in San Diego, so....

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/ - In California
http://morebeer.com/ - In California
http://www.folsombrewmeister.com/servlet/StoreFront - My club's sponsor, Eric can get anything
http://www.northernbrewer.com/ - Great shipping rate, good selection
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/ - Great selection, easy to work with
http://www.kegcowboy.com/ - Good specialty products, chillers, tubing, brewing hose
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/ - Site sponsor, good selection

Cheers! :mug:

Being is SD also, I've been to a few different shops. I usually end up at Home brew mart for most things just because its convenient and I can get some ballast tasters at the same time. FYI, they give a 10% discount for AHA membership. That being said, I never buy equipment from them. They are waaay over priced. ex, I bought a refractometer from AHS for like 50-60 bucks, but they want 120 for the same one. Grain is pretty cheap there though, with 2-row being .65/lb if you buy 50lbs. But I go online for equipment and bulk hops.

One thing I've noticed about MOREBEER.com:

They don't crush the grain very well. Their "crushed grain" forced me to go buy a grain mill after getting like 50% efficiency. I was a little irritated about that, but now that I have a mill, it doesn't matter (needed it anyway).

The free shipping from MOREBEER.com is a pretty good reason to go there, regardless of their crush.

Being is SD also, I've been to a few different shops. I usually end up at Home brew mart for most things just because its convenient and I can get some ballast tasters at the same time. FYI, they give a 10% discount for AHA membership. That being said, I never buy equipment from them. They are waaay over priced. ex, I bought a refractometer from AHS for like 50-60 bucks, but they want 120 for the same one. Grain is pretty cheap there though, with 2-row being .65/lb if you buy 50lbs. But I go online for equipment and bulk hops.

Homebrew and Gardens in North park is my favorite in SD. We went there to buy a brew kettle and they didnt have anything so they loaned us one of theirs. Not too big of a deal but that was the first time we had ever been there. Pretty cool on their part. They will have my local business for a while.

hops = hopsdirect.com

Bobby: "I had trouble finding the sacks of Maris Otter in my Lowes." You didn't look in their Homebrew and Gardening section? :D

I say spread the love. From what I have experienced every shop is in the business due to the love of the hobby and provide great service all around. I have shopped at my LHBS, AustinHomebrew.com, NorthernBrewer.com and BrewmastersWarehouse.com and they have all been great. I want to order from morebeer.com soon since they're only a few hours from me. My LHBS folsombrewmeister.com has a site, but I have only visited them in-store so far.

There is nothing wrong with spreading your dollars over a few of these great places.

I use austin home brewers.besides having good products and shipping,forrest stands behind his company and will work to make things right if your not happy.(just do a search of his posts)

I've found midwestsupplies.com has the best prices and a great selection. It also gets to me really quickly (usually in about a week), but I'm in pittsburgh, not all the way out in california.

Ditto. Midwest has always been good to me. I always look for price comparisons and $7.99 flat rate (offered by a lot of retailers) shipping is awesome if I'm ordering a lot of stuff, but their prices are usually a little higher than others.

You really can't go wrong with most of the retailers in other posts above. Just find a good price.

My LHBS isn't that great and it's all the way across town so I order most of my equipment/supplies from various online sources.

Homebrew and Gardens in North park is my favorite in SD. We went there to buy a brew kettle and they didnt have anything so they loaned us one of theirs. Not too big of a deal but that was the first time we had ever been there. Pretty cool on their part. They will have my local business for a while.

Wow! I never heard of this place. I love supporting the local stores, but I buy ALL my hops/equiptment from either Austin or Northern Brewer. You just can't beat the prices. I brew hoppy beers, and buying hops from Home Brew Mart or American will triple the price. I spread the love around buying grain. Not that it really is a "big sale." I will be going to Home Brews and Gardens soon.

Cheers.

I think it's important to support your local homebrew supply store. Waco doesn't have one so I order almost all of my stuff through Austin Homebrew Supply. Their prices are a little steep on hops and some grains but when you factor in the flat rate shipping it will typically even out with everyone else.

For me it's a no brainer to go with them vs. anyone else as I live an hour and a half away and will get my stuff typically within 2 days.

Austin Home Brew supply. Stand behind there products, have helped numerous customers out on here, including me. Forrest always seems to go above and beyond. And, cant beat the free shipping on orders over 100, or 7.99 flat rate. Amazing selection, and great kits!!

for prices i just ordered from farmhouse and have Approx 7 lbs of hops coming, 20 lbs of grain and 13 different yeast packets and other random stuff for less than $150. cant wait.. im already getting antsy about it and its only been 3 hours

oh yea and 11.99 shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've only been here once but when I was there I felt as though the place was about to be raided at any minute. :fro:

I started the hobby in Oregon so was lucky enough to live near brewbrothers.biz for some they'll be the cheapest on many things.

I need to order from ahb at some point, can say nothing but good things about brewmasters warehouse

Nothing beats opening up the hop fridge at my LHBS. I like to support local business, plus I get good customer service and for what I've bought so far, mostly ingredients and small supplies, the prices are about even with what I'd get online after shipping.

I would go with Austin Homebrew as well. They have a great selection, ship out fast, and they are really nice when you call them.

I wouldn't recommend buying glass from them though because they have to ship the order through UPS and I have had non-stop problems with UPS.

Im spoiled by a great lhbs, Modern Homebrewer in Cambridge MA. If they don't have something I like going to rebelbrewer.com

Midwest supplies for us on the east coast. No LHBS here in wv plus really cool
When I called them on my first brew day 3 times lol with questions

i live in NW wisconsin and fortunate enough to drive to www.windriverbrew.com and pick up what i need. scott is very knowledgable and has a great inventory. of course his mail orders are his company staple. give him a call, you will not be disappointed

Back