Who makes stainless CFCs anymore?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyqik

Reaction score
I've been looking around for a stainless CFC (not plate chiller), as I'm currently using a homebuilt (by someone else ;) ) copper/garden hose CFC, but I'm considering the benefits of LoDO brewing, which calls for no copper contact after the boil. I'm not sold on it, but I'm pondering the cost, also because my copper CFC is a bit grotty even after multiple cleanings between brews.

Googling for stainless CFC wort chillers brings up a lot of ~3 year old sales and products, but nothing that appears to be listed on sites anymore. Is there really no one making/selling stainless CFCs?

I guess I could build one from hose, stainless coil and compression fittings, but uncoiling and coiling the stainless tube doesn't sound like fun. Of course, that may be why they don't seem to be made anymore.

I had a custom stainless one made by NY Brew Supply, based on their 3/8" copper version: http://www.nybrewsupply.com/beer-ho...chillers/deluxe-counterflow-wort-chiller.html

http://www.nybrewsupply.com/beer-home-brewing-equipment/wort-chillers.html
They were good to work with and the price was very reasonable, and the hardware is fully modular, so you can easily adjust/repair/customize it with off-the-shelf parts if desired. I added water QDs designed for for garden-hose/pressure-washer connections to mine, for example.

As note on those chinese ones, several large homebrew supply places used to carry them, then stopped. I asked why, and they said that the steel was too thick to give efficient heat transfer, so while they looked neat, they were way too slow at actually transferring the heat.

Consider an immersion chiller. I have one that is 50' of half inch stainless. Much more durable than copper.

I had a custom stainless one made by NY Brew Supply, based on their 3/8" copper version: http://www.nybrewsupply.com/beer-ho...chillers/deluxe-counterflow-wort-chiller.html

http://www.nybrewsupply.com/beer-home-brewing-equipment/wort-chillers.html
They were good to work with and the price was very reasonable, and the hardware is fully modular, so you can easily adjust/repair/customize it with off-the-shelf parts if desired. I added water QDs designed for for garden-hose/pressure-washer connections to mine, for example.

As note on those chinese ones, several large homebrew supply places used to carry them, then stopped. I asked why, and they said that the steel was too thick to give efficient heat transfer, so while they looked neat, they were way too slow at actually transferring the heat.

Hmm, interesting.

What wall thickness did you get on the inner tube? That's critical to calculating and comparing the heat transfer in the CFC.

I have one that I'd be willing to sell. It has a small, pin prick size leak from the water side of things, but the wort is unhurt. In fact, the leak is so insignificant that I have more condensation build up on it than leak (I recirc ice water to chill). Anyways, let me know what you think. Also, this was a Williams Brewing model, before they stopped carrying it.
16265201_10154975757375859_1170768275987884359_n.jpg

Last edited:
Consider an immersion chiller. I have one that is 50' of half inch stainless. Much more durable than copper.

That's the fallback option, I guess. Although immersion chillers are much less efficient, and I pay a fair whack for tap water.

Hmm, interesting.

What wall thickness did you get on the inner tube? That's critical to calculating and comparing the heat transfer in the CFC.

I am not sure, and don't have the means to measure that accurately. The NYBrewSupply guys were very responsive to email though, and could probably tell you right away.

Back