Who has the most obscure hobby?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I collect hot wheels. I'm not into it to find the really valuable ones, I just like buying the really odd ones that I never would've bought when I was a kid.

I also like to tinker in the garage, and when I'm not out there actually doing something useful, like repairing my lawn equipment, I like to use old junk parts and put together steampunk-ish looking vehicles, mainly aircraft.

One of these days, I'm gonna build a full sized airplane, maybe a replica of the Spirit of St. Louis or something.

Just got a sawmill and started making my own lumber to build a cabin. Kind of like brewing beer in that you pay very close attention to measurements - sanitation not so much :)
Got 15 2x4 x12ft out of 19" stock. Like any other hobby, start-up hurts. First 2x4s figured out to $500 each :D
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GLBWiRjqvI[/ame]

I hunt for natural arches and bridges, photograph them, record measurements of new or unrecorded spans. Photo of my daughter a couple years ago attached

natural arches.jpg

I do a lot of 3D printing as one of my more obscure hobbies. My other hobbies include fishing, bowling, and sausage making. I am also getting into quadcopter flying.

I collect early, handmade, usually fillet-brazed mountain bikes, and restore them using period correct parts. Not all that obscure, but at least it takes up a lot of space!

I put on and umpire vintage base ball matches. We play the bare hand rules from 1850-1875, wearing period attire. Up until recently I was doing them on the grounds of the old Tiger Stadium. Every year on slow news days I end up on TV at least once or twice, or when I'm putting on a charity. I appeared in a documentary about the people who tried to save Tiger Stadium, and have played myself in a someday to be released romantic comedy based on the group.

Here's a neat piece done on us... Uniquely Detroit: Vintage Base Ball at 'The Corner'

Update Holy crap, just woke up this morning to hear that the documentary I'm in has been nominated for an Emmy....

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyX8zEX2GOo[/ame]

Here's the pre-production trailer of Romantic Comedy in production based on us.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXl8qVT1ghI[/ame]

Me doing the wedding of Tom and Sarah on the field in real life.

10527398_10152279386629067_4046288576035336726_n.jpg

And here's the "movie" version....
10372279_10152510549934067_2568564175361934597_n.jpg

Is your 4Runner "built"?
Off-roading is the reason I got my license. Rubicon Trail has no cell coverage, but excellent 2M repeater. Some HAM wheelers started offering lessons and exams and many of the new operators ended up getting rescued or were able to call for medical transport. I upgraded to General (and later Extra) to help as VE and we just passed the 500 mark in new HAMs.

I'll be stringing a long wire at summer place (near Rubicon) this spring and would be in to some 20/40.

CW seems to be increasing in obscurity, at least in the States.

Nice to see a fellow wheeler. I did the marlin crawler run last year in my '85 Toyota pickup. Broke a front main leaf. Good times. It was the first time I'd driven all the way through the rubicon. Typically we'd camp at icehouse and drive to the big sluice and back. My family does an annual Rubicon and Dusey run. I don't go as often as I'd like.

I used to watch my grandpa on the HAM radio and when he died a bunch of of his HAM radio buddies (who he'd never met in person) came to the funeral. I wish I was old enough to have taken his radio.

Anyway that's my hobby besides beer, swimming and running. Good times.

Latest posts

Back