Who has the most obscure hobby?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hunt and fish (those are kind of more than a hobby, more of a way of life, plus they provide food for my family). I also play the uilleann pipes and fiddle, do mountain/trials unicycling, have made a few of my own long bows and load all of my own ammo. I also am a crappy amature blacksmith and have breed show poulty (chickens, pigeons, quail, doves and pheasents), although those two are on hold while I am in gradschool.

Not really obscure, but I collect and play board games....and not the crap you find at Target or Wal Mart. I have around 250 games currently....ranging from "Carcassonne" to "Dawn of the Zeds" to "Ticket to Ride" to "Crokinole" to "Moongha Invaders", and a bunch in between.

I'm a board game geek too.

Best party game I've ever played is easily Ca$h and Gun$.

I play the DnD Adventure System games when I feel like some light time-killing (can't get many people to get in on that...), and have hosted/participated in online games using these.

A great system/idea that is now defunct (but can be expanded if you have a little DIY know-how) is Frontiers: Liberty or Death. Awesome battleground-type strategy game.

I collect comics and Magic the Gathering cards. Not so much MtG anymore though. Love to play just don't have the time. I need to sell off some of my older cards to get the money. I used to play the magic finance game of buy low and sell high. It's fun but can get expensive and hard to keep up with.

Damn you Wizards for banning Birthing Pod!!! :mad:

Far from obscure but I committed to a new hobby today. Bought a guitar. At age 41, with no experience with a guitar, I decided I was going to learn to play with my boy, 9, who is taking lessons.

Good luck! I play guitar as well. Last year I bought a banjo to teach myself. Got that down then bought a mandolin. Now I'm working on harmonica. Music is really fun and relaxing.

I'm an Amateur (Ham) radio operator.

Me too - General Class - 73's

K7RRL

KB9NKZ here... but I haven't CQed in a while after my rig was stolen.

WB6MYR here.
Need to get HBT net going :mug:
(after I get my HF antenna up)
73's

As am I. N8FU. I'd be up for trying something on any band but 160. Looks like you guys are west coast, so 20 or 40 might be best from Ohio.

Also I dedicated several years of my life to studying Wilderness Survival and Tracking. Apache Scout skills and other naturalist and wildernessy stuff.

I love recreational tree climbing. Ropes and harnesses and lots of cool gear involved.

I play pool. Leagues and tournaments.

Good luck! I play guitar as well. Last year I bought a banjo to teach myself. Got that down then bought a mandolin. Now I'm working on harmonica. Music is really fun and relaxing.

Banjo would be awesome. If I ever figure out this damn guitar (I can't form the basic chords with my fret hand right now), I might look into a banjo. Banjo looks harder to play to me, but I base that on nothing more than the observation of a know-nothing.

As am I. N8FU. I'd be up for trying something on any band but 160. Looks like you guys are west coast, so 20 or 40 might be best from Ohio.

Also I dedicated several years of my life to studying Wilderness Survival and Tracking. Apache Scout skills and other naturalist and wildernessy stuff.

I love recreational tree climbing. Ropes and harnesses and lots of cool gear involved.

What did Nate ever do to you?

Banjo would be awesome. If I ever figure out this damn guitar (I can't form the basic chords with my fret hand right now), I might look into a banjo. Banjo looks harder to play to me, but I base that on nothing more than the observation of a know-nothing.

I play guitar mostly finger picking so the banjo came fairly easy. It's really fun. I've since switched to clawhammer banjo and I'm working on it. It's harder but man, it sounds awesome.

What did Nate ever do to you?

I went ahead and got the callsign license plate on my 4Runner. I hear this at least once a week. Or, "What do you have against Nate?" or "Whose Nate?" or "How did you sneak that one through?"

Edit: I actually got that callsign because it is short and easy to do in Morse code. So That may be my most obscure hobby.

I communicate over ham radio using Morse Code.

Not a westie here...in fact just the opposite. I'm in Hampton, VA near the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. Now if I can ever get my HF antenna back up and in working order...

Jim K8SI (BTW the 8-land call is from my hillbilly days in WV)

I went ahead and got the callsign license plate on my 4Runner. I hear this at least once a week. Or, "What do you have against Nate?" or "Whose Nate?" or "How did you sneak that one through?"

Edit: I actually got that callsign because it is short and easy to do in Morse code. So That may be my most obscure hobby.

I communicate over ham radio using Morse Code.

Is your 4Runner "built"?
Off-roading is the reason I got my license. Rubicon Trail has no cell coverage, but excellent 2M repeater. Some HAM wheelers started offering lessons and exams and many of the new operators ended up getting rescued or were able to call for medical transport. I upgraded to General (and later Extra) to help as VE and we just passed the 500 mark in new HAMs.

I'll be stringing a long wire at summer place (near Rubicon) this spring and would be in to some 20/40.

CW seems to be increasing in obscurity, at least in the States.

I collect vinyl records. Not really all that obscure, especially in the last several years. I collect the whole gamut of stuff but most of my collection is classical, classic rock, and metal.

I also like to acquire vintage audio gear when I can but that gets real expensive real quick, especially for anything in decent condition.

Is your 4Runner "built"?
Off-roading is the reason I got my license. Rubicon Trail has no cell coverage, but excellent 2M repeater. Some HAM wheelers started offering lessons and exams and many of the new operators ended up getting rescued or were able to call for medical transport. I upgraded to General (and later Extra) to help as VE and we just passed the 500 mark in new HAMs.

No, I haven't done any modifications to the 4Runner yet. I assume that's what you mean. Never been into the off road thing too much. I'd like to get a nice bumper/brush guard setup with a good wench. Low profile top lights and such. I have a crap-ton of things I need to do to get my ham setup installed as well. Right now however the money seems to be flowing into brewing. One hobby at a time :)

I'll be stringing a long wire at summer place (near Rubicon) this spring and would be in to some 20/40.

Yea, I started learning CW mostly out of spite when I got my Extra, then found that I really enjoyed it.

Not a westie here...in fact just the opposite. I'm in Hampton, VA near the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. Now if I can ever get my HF antenna back up and in working order...

Jim K8SI (BTW the 8-land call is from my hillbilly days in WV)

Fine business, Just looked you up on QRZ, Looks like we've got a similar setup. I'd like to know how you like your autotuner with the 480HX. I'll send you a PM when I have a little more time

Is your 4Runner "built"?

I hiked a trail that parallels the Rubicon about 30 years ago one weekend when the jeeps were thick. Jeepers were camped one side of Buck Island Res, me on the other. I was fishing about sundown when someone started shooting in my general direction. I could see bullets skip off the water & hear them buzz overhead. I ducked behind some rocks till they quit. Didn't shoot back because there were a lot of folks on the other side, including kids, and I couldn't tell who was doing the shooting.

I'm working toward my solo certification in skydiving. this is seconds before exiting on my first tandem jump.

GOPR8098.jpg

I hiked a trail that parallels the Rubicon about 30 years ago one weekend when the jeeps were thick. Jeepers were camped one side of Buck Island Res, me on the other. I was fishing about sundown when someone started shooting in my general direction. I could see bullets skip off the water & hear them buzz overhead. I ducked behind some rocks till they quit. Didn't shoot back because there were a lot of folks on the other side, including kids, and I couldn't tell who was doing the shooting.

Wow, that would have a high pucker factor. I would be tempted to just shoot into the ground or something just to let them know someone was there.

I love to cook (and eat) inside or outside smoking or grilling, kayak, I'm a board member of GABBA (Georgia Allman Brothers Band Association) & huge music fan, playing bluegrass/old time mandolin, guitar, resophonic guitar, still a gigging musician a few times a month on electric guitar & bass, photography, growing food, & just general working in & around the house. Scheduling is important in my house.

What's with all the hunters? Not a complaint, as long as everyone is utilizing the carcass in a large degree and not intentionally "cruel" in the act. It just seems odd as a vegetarian (peace and love, free Tibet, etc.) that hunting is prevalent amongst homebrewers.

Homebrewers seem to be DIY type folks and hunting and gardening are a bit of the ultimate DIY food process.

I'm an AFOL (Adult Fan Of Lego). I've got thousands of dollars' worth of Star Wars Lego sets, and a dedicated work area in my basement specifically for storing/building/disassembling Lego.

I play golf, very obscure, I know.

To the person many pages ago growing the hot peppers. I grew the Ghost peppers couple years ago and wanted to grow the scorpions. I ground all the Ghost into a paste and then added them to whatever I was eating. Fresh Ghost peppers were the hottest thing I've ever eaten, so can't imagine anything hotter.

My wife insisted I grow them in pots so there would be no "contamination" with the rest of the garden.

So, basically, you're a real-life "Lord Business"?

It's true, I'm even a stickler for following the instructions. Let me tell you, it was a cold bucket of water to the face when I watched the Lego movie, and got to the end and realized, "Holy crap, I'm the bad guy from the Lego movie."

If I had an HF rig ready.... 2M wont work... I can use the HF at work though!

It's true, I'm even a stickler for following the instructions. Let me tell you, it was a cold bucket of water to the face when I watched the Lego movie, and got to the end and realized, "Holy crap, I'm the bad guy from the Lego movie."

That's awesome!

Why is it so many brewers fish and hunt? I don't get it but I suppose it has a lot to do with the DYI aspect. Yes I fish and hunt, was doing that since I was a kid though brewing is much more new to me.

I like going to the pistol range near my house, this is might be an unusual hobby for a Canadian... I like mountain biking... teaching is a passion of mine as well.

I do find brewers in general are "hobby guys" they are into all kinds of hobbies... but honestly the whole fishing hunting hiking camping thing seems to take the cake.

Oh I also play the guitar which seems to also be common among brewers

Ohhh thats DAMN KILLER right there! What part of that do you do?

Cheers
Jay

I'm the guy at the beginning of the video with the funny beard and the green shirt. I get a cameo at the 6 minute mark and explain what we are doing.

This is the Superstring at the national convention for PGI. The convention travels all over the USA, this year its at LaPorte Indiana. 10 days of pyrotechnic bliss!

We actually build fireworks onsite and shoot them off until 1:00 AM for a whole week! Along with three public displays, all choreographed to music and with a lot a incredible ground effects.

:ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban:

I hunt, but I also do movie quality costumes for halloween/parties/events. Create them from scratch using plastic work, leather working, sewing, metal work and electronics. I also make a variety of cheeses, pickling, and am starting charcuterie/smoking meat. I also dabble in mobile platform/ruby programming. Created a few UI's for tablets to control my house functions like windows being open, a comm system, can send texts from it, and basically anything else I can control remotely.

I make rings from vintage coins. I preserve both the face and tail designs and they become the inside and the outside of the ring. The more intricate the design around the perimeter of the coin, the better. Older coins are better, the ones that are at least a good % silver, since silver doesn't tarnish like the copper/nickel of today's coins.

I like to collect naps. While I may appear to be snoring away, I am actually doing deep research on interior eyelid structures and dream interpretation. Shhhhhhhhh...

I'm the guy at the beginning of the video with the funny beard and the green shirt. I get a cameo at the 6 minute mark and explain what we are doing.

This is the Superstring at the national convention for PGI. The convention travels all over the USA, this year its at LaPorte Indiana. 10 days of pyrotechnic bliss!

We actually build fireworks onsite and shoot them off until 1:00 AM for a whole week! Along with three public displays, all choreographed to music and with a lot a incredible ground effects.

That...... IS AWESOME!

Cheers
Jay

My wife is from La Porte, IN. An obscure place for an obscure hobby.

Haven't done it in quite a long time due to lack of a proper forge and the other necessary tools (drill press, belt grinder, etc.), but I do have an interest in making hand forged knives.

Not sure if it would technically classify as an obscure hobby, but my family and I like to dress up to attend the yearly Michigan Renaissance Festival in Holly Michigan. I'm the goofy guy on the right with glasses in the first picture. Wife and kids are posing with 'Nessie' in the other. :mug:

DSCN0027.JPG

Rose & the Girls meet Nessie.jpg

Latest posts

Back