Who drinks their Apfelwein non carbed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangfreak

Reaction score
Wed I kegged my first batch of Ed's Apfelwein, and I pulled a ******* move and forgot to set it at 30psi. But I was really looking forward to trying it out, so I still pulled a pint, even though it isn't carbed. And I gotta say, its not bad at all being "flat" It really has a wine taste to it, does that go away when carbed?

I'm sure I forgot to carb it, I hope so, cause if I didnt forget to, that means I have a leak. :drunk:

My wife likes it better non-carbed. It definitely has a wine-like characteristic to it that way, which is what I think she likes. Carbonated, we think it tastes more like an apple champagne. Not really a bad thing, but a bit too dry for what we are looking for. I still haven't tried adding a splash of sprite like Ed recommends to sweeten it up, mainly because we don't usually drink soda in our house, so we don't have any on-hand, but I will be giving that a try soon.

I haven't done a primed/carbed batch yet, but I've only done 2 batches so far. First batch was bottled in Heinie bottles, second one in clear 750ml wine bottles. Both turned out to have a little residual bubbly, even though I degassed prior to bottling.

Both batches were in the carboy over 9 weeks, with no signs of fermentation and crystal clear.

I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to get some sorbate to have on hand for the next batch.

I really like the stuff still in a highball on the rocks.

Well, I have a leak. I set the reg for 30psi, and let it sit that way for 3 days, tonight I went in and pulled the pressure relief, and once again, it barely let any pressure out. So now I need to find the leak.

Looks like this batch will be non carbed.

Well, I have a leak. I set the reg for 30psi, and let it sit that way for 3 days, tonight I went in and pulled the pressure relief, and once again, it barely let any pressure out. So now I need to find the leak.

Looks like this batch will be non carbed.
Have you tapped it? Are you sure most of the CO2 hasn't been absorbed...?? :confused:

I kegged it and put some pressure on it. I can't wait though, so I'm drinking from it every so often. Flat or carbed, it'll mess you up. God bless Ed Wort.

Soap in a spray bottle should show your the problem, if not check each connection and wipe down the seals or wrap with silicon (food grade of course). Otherwise save some of the still cider, and bottle it for 6 months. You will love yourself for doing it. If you need carb, add a little sprite, (et al) to your glass.

Back