Who built this and can I get the plans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CollinsBrew

Reaction score
Hey guys! I haven't been on the boards in quite some time here. I've had all of my beer gear locked up in storage since March of last year in prepartation for my new venture into the military. I'm now in a place and ready saturate myself once more into beerdom.

With my new found career comes the ability to fund a new brewtower or brewstand for the pleasures of homebrew. I found a brewstand that someone built on here some time ago and I want to build something very similar. I'd like to get some plans on it or just a few more pictures so I can see how it was done and just do it myself. Someone please chime in and let me know who is responsible for this!

Brutus10woodstand.jpg

Alright, I did a search as was able to find Scuba's build plans on here...but hey, I'm back to brewin' and better than ever!!

Ha, that's Scuba's old rig, I believe he sold it and is brewin on a stainless cart these days. That wood rig sure is a thing of beauty aint it!

Wow....that's a real compliment! Thanks!:mug:

I built this rig about 2 years ago, and eventually sold it because I moved and wanted something a little more compact. The thread of my build has some good pics; here's more on my photobucket album: HOMEBREWING pictures by hawkie333 - Photobucket

I don't have plans; I basically went to home depot many many times and stared for hours at the hardware, lumber, and *especially* the plumbing section. I used 2x8's for the front and back rails, and 2x4's for everything else. I used 3/8"x 6" lag bolts to hold things together....using a spade drill bit to sink the washers and bolt heads into the wood for a finished look. I finally finished the wood with 1-step polyurethane stain, which makes for easy clean up of sticky wort. All of this was done with a skilsaw, drill, and sander....if you have a table saw it'll be much easier.

Wood is really underrated for building a rig...you just have to shield it. I probably wouldn't have had to shield much at all if I didn't use Banjo burners...I actually found that they were WAY too powerful for brewing...I wasted a lot of heat and fuel cranking them up.

Really, the sky is the limit; I would just take inspiration from all the awesome rigs on this forum and incorporate all the things you like!

Have fun in the military;) :mug:

Thanks guys...I'm going to be building something of this sort soon. I have a three tier system now and have used only gravity to drive my system. I did all of my brewing in my basement/garage in my last house but don't really have the headroom for it here. I would also love to not have to get on a ladder to brew anymore. It's a little tall...

BrewTower-Outside-2.jpg

As a woodworker, I love Scuba's wood one. BUT... your shelf rig isn't bad!

I agree about the ladder. Big PITA.

Keep us posted as you build it. I am thinking about building a rig and the more info I can have the better!

In the meantime I'll be brewing on that stand...which still has to be put back together from the move. Hopefully, I'll get to it this week!

Back