white scum on cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooney

Reaction score
Hi, this September i pressed 160 liters off cider in 2 batches. The first batch was mixed with 10% pears and "cider yeast" with a malolactic culture. the 2nd batch was 100% apples and used wine yeast. The dregs of both batches got added to a bucket. It was fremented out to dry when the 2nd batch of extra juice was dumped in. So far the first batch is tasting amazing and sweet with a ph of 3.5 the second batch is tasting too acidic and ph of 3.2. I'm putting this down to the malolactic culture.
The bucket with the dregs of both batches is not looking so good. Its a bucket not carboy so had more expos to air but i bought my local home brew shop out of carboys for. There is a White scum on the top. Was about to pour it or but when i flicked the surface and the white scum clumped together. I recon i can rack it out from under this. Has any one had anything similar?

Attachments

• 20201118_215838.jpg
    20201118_215838.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
Back