White payment and daily stirs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAler

Reaction score
Up until now I have only made traditional. I was given a quantity of late harvest reisling juice and have decided to make 50 liters of white payment. My biggest question is should I treat this the same as my traditional and be stirring it twice a day or does the grape aspect lessen that need?

I've asked some wine makers and they don't stir during ferments.

5kg honey added to juice in 25l batch
OG 1.120.
71b-1122 with goferm start
Pure O2 at inoculation
Step nutrient additions

Thanks

Some people do not stir daily and others do. Can you get a good Pyment either way? Sure! But aerating and degassing daily for the first several days up to the 1/3 sugar break point is a known practice to reduce stress on yeast, help cultivate a strong yeast colony and help control PH swings. So I think it is always helpful regardless of the mead you make.

Thanks for the quick replies. Degassing till 1/3 it is.

I usually degas traditionals almost to completion. Would that be too long or is this advice for all meads regardless?

Thanks for the quick replies. Degassing till 1/3 it is.

I usually degas traditionals almost to completion. Would that be too long or is this advice for all meads regardless?
Well, its not strictly degassing at this stage. The stirring is to try and get some additional oxygen into the batch for yeast development - a side effect/bonus is that you will also disturb any particulates and this will nucleate the carbonic acid/dissolved CO2, which comes out as bubbles.......

And you haven't mentioned any nutrient/energiser, without them, it's likely to take a long time to get to the 1/3rd mark........

Sorry I have added nutrient. 5g fermaid k and 7 g dap. Will add the same again at 1/3 sugars which looks like it will be soon. The ferment is moving along quite well.

Latest posts

Back