White labs yheast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
I bought some white labs yeast in a vial for my hefe and didnt think that yeast needed to stay refergerated.... is it ruined?? its been our for five or 6 hours...

yea im not pitching it yet. Now another question The kit i bought was brewers best so it came with regular yeast in a package and I said I wanted a banana flavor in my hefe so they sold me the white labs because the yeast is the item that adds the flavor.

So do I just not use the packaged yeast and use the white labs instead?

Yes, that's correct.

Many of brewers make starters when they use a liquid yeast. You can do a search on HBT for "starter" or read about it at www.mrmalty.com Its not necessary - if you pitch your vial straight into your wort, you'll make good beer. But starters are definitely a "best practices" for liquid yeast.

Cheers!

If your goin to make a starter, and that other package is dry yeast, boil half of that package in with your starter wort. You can use it like a yeast nutrient.

If your goin to make a starter, and that other package is dry yeast, boil half of that package in with your starter wort. You can use it like a yeast nutrient.
Nice idea!

ok sounds good to me! does it matter when I put it in?

I usually put it in at the start of the boil. I'm not a big fan of kit yeast, and usually use the white labs vials for my brews anyway. Though I know that for Ed worts pale he uses dry yeast so I will probably try some dry when I make that beer.

Back