white labs San Diago yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmoss0984

Reaction score
I have been experimenting with an American IPA recipe I made over the last 6 months. I typically just used Wyeast ale yeast 1056 and adjusted the other ingredients with minimal change. I decided to try changing up the yeast this time to the white labs San Diego strain. I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with this strain and what kind of flavors and finish I should expect? I have liked the beer for the most part but the finish is still off so I was hoping this would help with that. Cheers!

I've used the San Diego Super for a few recent high gravity brews (mainly stouts) and I've gotten very good results. It generally starts fermenting fast and tends to finish primary within a few days. It is intended to give a neutral flavor and I haven't noticed any off flavors so far in any of may batches, even after harvesting and repitching the yeast. It's definitely worth a shot to see if you can take care of any off flavors.

I brewed on saturday and it was bubbling away in just a fee hours and by Monday night the activity was substantially less, very fast fermentation. That is good to know thanks for the reply!

It is a great strain. I've been using it in all my west coast IPA's with superb results. It has a super clean taste, it's fast working, and attenuates just right.

I just had a batch take a gold at a BJCP comp and a silver in the first round of the NHC

I use WLP090 for pretty much any clean american ale I am making. In fact I just harvested about 400mL of good clean slurry (my 3rd or 4th passage this time) from a mid- gravity porter it blew through in a few days. Enough for me and my friends who brew. Great strain. Very clean. White labs describes it as a faster WLP001 California Ale. I'd say that seems accurate.

That gets me really excited that it gives a clean finish, that is what I think my American IPA is missing. Thanks guys, Cheers!

It also seems to flocculate better than 1056/001, which is nice for making crystal clear beer.

It is phenomenal. I switched over to it because Wyeast 1272 (which I still love) was taking a long time to finish up fermentation. I am super happy with the switch. Finishes fast and attenuates reliably. Also floccs nicely. Also has a great clean finish that lets malt and hop come through. Also handles temps that get a bit too high extremely well. Also is amazing.

Did I mention I really like it?

Back