White Labs California V yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
Anyone ever use this? Is it a slow starter? Granted my starter was pitched a little earlier than usual but I have no activity at all and it's been 28 hours. I've never had to wait more than 8 hours.

I am using it now for the first time. My brew has taken off in about 12 hours. It looks like a clumpy yeast. I had to shake the starter real good to mix it up prior to pitching.

I just put it into my pumpkin ale on Thursday night around 8 PM, and it didn't start burping until Friday at 3 PM or so. You're running longer than I did, but who knows? I've had yeast take the better part of three days to get going before.

I've only made one batch ever and I used about 1/3 of the vial of California V and it took off overnight. I have never had to use a starter in my winemaking.

If I made a starter, I would also add some yeast straight to the mix. It makes a lot of sense to do that; kind of hedging your bets in case you accidentally kill the yeast in the starter or the starter doesn't do anything to the wort when you add it. Also, don't stir ale yeast ... they are supposed to ferment at the top, right? The yeast have the best oxygen exposure at the top which is crucial for growth and division, which is why for wine you sprinkle a bit of dry yeast on the top and don't ever mix it.

Hook'em,
Doug

Back