White beer - clear before fermentation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoltanar

Reaction score
Hi all.
I've done my first white beer - a Blanche de Chambly clone - and I have a question.
The wort was clear when I put it in my fermenting bucket. It looks like it is now cloudy like a white beer should be, but I was wondering why it started clear. I was under the impression that the cloudiness was caused by the grain, not by the yeast....
I'm a bit puzzled.
Has anyone had the same result when making a white?

Also, is this was is called floculation?

BTW, I recultured the yeast I got left in an original BDC for this beer. Can't wait to try it out...

Typically the cloudiness comes from high protein grains like wheat. A lot of times the proteins will show up more when the beer is chilled.

What you're seeing is likely poorly flocculating yeast still in suspension. Over time a lot of it will eventually settle to the bottom.

Ah ok. Thanks for the info.
So floculation means particles in suspension in the liquid?

Flocculation is the process of particles of yeast dropping out of suspension.

It probably looked clear do to cooling which causes proteins to clump together and flocculate. It's cloudy now because the yeast have reproduced to a large concentration. They'll fall back down eventually but witbier yeasts tend to take a long time to do so.

Latest posts

Back