Whiskey barrel condition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STMF

Reaction score
Hi

I have had the privileged to acquire a newly taped whiskey barrel from a domestic distillery (about 7 gallons, Bourbon) that I thought to condition a HomeBrew in.

The plan is an American IPA, a lot of american flavor/armoma hops and relatively high abv (7-8.5%). Ferment and then condition in the barrel for about 4 weeks.

What I wonder if there is anyone that has done this before and has any thoughts and/or do/don't.

Regards
Stefan

I doubt it'll take 4 weeks, the surface contact is going to be much higher in that small barrel. I would honestly taste it at a week.

I may give it 4 days but 4 weeks never. I barrel aged a rye saison (was a rye whiskey barrel) for 7 days and the alcohol taste was over powering and hot. It's been aging in a corny now for 4 months and just starting to mellow. It was a split batch, half in the barrel half direct to keg. The un-aged keg was kicked long ago, next time a heavy full bodied RIS.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.
I will make a less hoppy Pale Ale and leave it less time in the barrel.

Back