Whirlpooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwing_al

http://www.homebrewmania.com/
Reaction score
Hi, I just read this article on Whirlpooling for chilling and trub control: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/whirlpooling-makes-a-world-of-difference/

For those of you successfully use the whirlpool method, how aggressing of a 'spin' do you use? When Chilling, I use a paint mixer on a cordless drill to "whirlpool" the wort for a faster chill session. it works fantastic, frankly, it oxegenates the wort too for pitching yeast when done. However, tomorrow I'm going to employ this method, but let the wort still to see how well it works..

However, I'm not sure how aggressive of a whirlpool I should make.. I could make a HUGE 'tornado' if I want.. :)

I used to just stir till it was spinning pretty good. Then I would let it slow down while I rested and then do it again before it stopped. Rinse/Repeat!

Now I use a chugger pump and a whirlpool port. I open the valve so that whirlpool goes as fast as the pump will drive it. There's no vortex or anything like that but it is a good constant circulation. Really helps chill faster too by keeping wort moving across my immersion chiller.

Use your spoon and get it going. Before I had pumps, that is all I did and it worked fine. Now I sanitize my pump and lines at the end of the boil. Shut off the flame and I whirlpool for a few minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes, and push through the CFC.... finished. It doesn't need to be overly vigorous. As long as everything is moving it will settle in the center.

All you are trying to do is create a gentle whirlpool to get the trub to settle into a cone at the bottom of the kettle. This makes racking or draining the kettle easier. You just need a spoon:)

If you're dumping your contents into the primary after chilling then no whirlpool is necessary unless you are doing flame out additions of hops, then a whirlpool/hop stand will benefit

Sent from the Commune

Latest posts

Back