Whirlpooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
Looking for some help with whirlpooling in my boil kettle with a March 809 pump. Currently I have an input valve with 1/2" rigid copper poor. I get a decent whirl pool but feel I need more movement I was thinking about reducing the 1/2" pipe down to 3/8" soft copper line. Would this increase flow pressure enough to move more wort?

What methods with best for you?

Cheers

One thing I did when I started whirlpooling was to crimp the end of my copper pipe on my return to get more of a jet flow. Sort of like having a nozzle on the end of it. That helped a lot, also what volume of wort are you trying to whirlpool?

One thing I did when I started whirlpooling was to crimp the end of my copper pipe on my return to get more of a jet flow. Sort of like having a nozzle on the end of it.

Same here. Just took a pair of pliers and squeezed the end of the whirlpool arm.

Have you found the trub pile improved with the jet stream or are you just assuming?

Also you want to turn it off as soon as it's not moving any faster to prevent excessively breaking up the trub. The more restrictions, turbulence, and pumping you do the more finely you're breaking up the flocs of trub and so you'll get a poor trub pile. The pros just use a paddle for anything less than 15 BBL.

You can also try loc-line on your return and just point it where you want. I think on our scale it can be difficult to get a good trub pile. I use kegs which keep the pile even better contained....but it seems there's always quite a bit at the bottom...even with whirlfloc. A funnel with strainer makes up for an imperfect whirlpool.

Back