whirlpool during boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malboa

Reaction score
Hi. I came across a NE-style IPA recipe in a recent edition of the Beer&Brewing magazine which calls for a 40 minute whirlpool beginning at the 60min boil. I had never heard of using a whirlpool during the boil, has anyone else and if so, what would be the benefit (other than a good arm workout)?

This is essentially just recirculating the mash, no? If so, it's for wort clarity and maybe a point or two bump in efficiency?

No, the mash tun isn't even in the equation at that point.
This is all about the boil.

I'd suspect a bad piece of writing, in this case...

Cheers!

Shoot sorry, completely misread the title. Heck if I can screw it up I'm sure some author can too...

No, the mash tun isn't even in the equation at that point.
This is all about the boil.

I'd suspect a bad piece of writing, in this case...

Cheers!

Well, the article repeatedly made the point to add hops at 60 mins (during whirlpool), at 40 mins (during whirlpool) so if it was written incorrectly it was done so multiple times.

Perhaps, I just need to reach out to the magazine to see if I am missing something.

The thing is, there's nothing to be gained by whirlpooling 60 and 40 minute additions.
There's plenty of hydrodynamic activity during the boil.
Intentional or not, it doesn't carry much merit...

Cheers!

Are you sure they're not saying to whirlpool for 60 minutes? Haven't read the article, but this seems like a plausible explanation.

I'm guessing this is the recipe.

It is a 40 minute whirlpool.

1. First Wort Hops
2. Boil for 60 minutes
3. Flame out
4. Start the whirlpool

IMG_0111.jpg

Back