Whirlflock, etc...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockape66

Reaction score
I just brewed my first all grain batch. It went very well, but I forgot to get whirlflock or irish moss for this brew session. It was also the first time that I tried to whirlpool the brew kettle, and it didn't seem to have any effect. Could the moss/whirlflock addition help with whirlpooling?

Yep, it'll attract and help drop out proteins that would otherwise stay suspended. Granted, it's not really a big deal. Mostly an aesthetic concern. Extended time in primary/in the fridge for a bit... it'll clear up more than you think. I do get a lot of the break/hop material separated by whirlpooling, though (makes a nice pile in the middle after everything's done) -- so I do recommend it.

I stopped using whirlflock, I found a good whirlpool and letting it sit for 30-40 minutes to be more effective without it. I see no difference in my beers.

I just brewed my first all grain batch. It went very well, but I forgot to get whirlflock or irish moss for this brew session. It was also the first time that I tried to whirlpool the brew kettle, and it didn't seem to have any effect. Could the moss/whirlflock addition help with whirlpooling?

It may help some, but the problem is more likely your whirlpooling technique. Tell us more about your whirlpool method and maybe we can help.

I used a sanitized 21" stainless spoon to get a good whirlpool going(about 1 min of stirring). Then left it alone for about 15 mins. Trub seemed to be evenly distributed across the bottom of the brewkettle, without any center pile. Yes, I did chill below 80*F before whirlpooling.
Thanks for the replies, Mack.:mug:

Latest posts

Back