whirlfloc .. added late

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raf1919

Reaction score
so i got some whirlfloc and was excited to try it with my pumpkin ale. and of course after the boil once i put the pot in sink of ice i look and on the counter is my whirlfloc tablet, so i pannicked and quickly threw it into pot since it was hot. it was half tablet and it dissolved quickly i gave it a stir.

will this have any negative affect? right now it still chilling and there is like a clump of something forming in middle of pot? do i just pour that all into fermenter?

No problem, just listening to a JZ show archive today and he says he puts his in at flameout and whirlpool chills. Clump of something forming in the middle is what whirfloc does, coagulates proteins etc. ideally do not transfer this 'clump' into your fermenter

well thats good to hear. i tried to scoop clump out but it actually wasn't even a clump but just a like a powdering gathering in center when i put spoon to scoop out it just moved around so i ended up pouring it into fermenter.

Back