Which type of Orange Peel in Apricot Wit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewer

Reaction score
I found this recipe for an Apricot Wit but is doesn't specify if it is a sweet or bitter orange peel. Anyone know which is typically found in this style?

6 lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt
4 lbs White Wheat Malt
.5 lbs Belgian Biscuit
2 oz Saaz (3.8%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
2 tsp Corriander crushed - added during boil, boiled 15 min
.5 oz Orange Peel (dried) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
25 oz OregonApricot (pureed) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1 ea White Labs WLP400 Belgian Wit Ale

don't go with dried, the real secret of nice witbier is adding fresh citrus (orange/grapefruit/lemon) skin at the end of the boil. you have to only add zest (the thin layer of skin) without the white part. you can use a sharp knife, or a zester/grater to take the peel off.

zest of about 4 oranges and 2 grapefruit should be enough for 5 gallons. the trick is to zest citruses on the brewing day (be prepared that it will take some time to zest 6 fruits).

you have to add the zest in the last minutes of the boil. if after adding you'll be able to smell the citrus aroma, it means that you added too early and the aroma has evaporated.

here you have jamil show about witbier with all the details: http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/membersarchive/Jamil03-13-06.mp3 on which they advise using fresh zest

I think the zest freezes fairly well so you might think of buying some Seville oranges during citrus season every year. Try Whole Foods or something similar.

I second mixing grapefruit with some kind of sweet orange (tangerine, mandarin, whatever).

If you don't have one, buy a microplane. It makes it very fast and easy to get the citrus zest and is also great for nutmeg and Parmesan.

Back