Which Temperature controller unit???/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpeanut7

Reaction score
First off, I'd like to apologize, as I'm sure SOMEWHERE, there is a thread explaining this. Also, I've spent the better part of today looking at these threads. The fact is, I am clueless when it comes to electronics, and specifically these controllers. I've already purchased a chest freezer, and now for the question.

What model of Temperature controller is good enough? I've gathered that "two-stage" allows you to hook a heat supply as well as the freezer's power source. I want that, and I want digital. Is there anything else to consider? I just don' want to buy one online, only to learn that it requires other products to actually work. I assume there is one out there that I can just plug my freezer into, and rig the thermometer (or whatever its called), insulated, to the fermenter.

I guess I'm looking for a model number?

I had three single stage rancos for three different chest freezers. I now have one of these and wouldn't go any other way - especially for the $$$

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057APR3I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The wiring isn't that tough - especially if you read some of the other threads and use a standard 2 plug outlet with the bridge broken so it is is one for heat and one for cold. It ends up being a very clean installation. I have this and a small ceramic space heater to keep ferm temps within a degree of what I want.

The only downside with the control products units is that the probe won't fit in the thermowells that are sold by morebeer (and others). I ended up taping it to the side of the plastic bucket with some styrofoam on top for insulation and setting the temp 1 degree cooler than I otherwise would. Not a perfect solution but good enough for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
dpeanut7 said:
First off, I'd like to apologize, as I'm sure SOMEWHERE, there is a thread explaining this. Also, I've spent the better part of today looking at these threads. The fact is, I am clueless when it comes to electronics, and specifically these controllers. I've already purchased a chest freezer, and now for the question.

What model of Temperature controller is good enough? I've gathered that "two-stage" allows you to hook a heat supply as well as the freezer's power source. I want that, and I want digital. Is there anything else to consider? I just don' want to buy one online, only to learn that it requires other products to actually work. I assume there is one out there that I can just plug my freezer into, and rig the thermometer (or whatever its called), insulated, to the fermenter.

I guess I'm looking for a model number?

Look in the DIY section of the forums. There is always the eBay temp controller, I got two for 54 shipped. They aren't overly fancy and are only in Celsius, but they work. It allows for a minimum range of +/- .3 degrees C, has a compressor delay and a temp adjust if you feel the unit is off, I've got no complaints on mine.

They aren't overly fancy and are only in Celsius, but they work. It allows for a minimum range of +/- .3 degrees C, has a compressor delay and a temp adjust if you feel the unit is off, I've got no complaints on mine.

If your referring to the Johnson temp controller mine works
in Ferinheight i believe they will do both.

I just did one of these builds with zero previous electronics experience and it was incredibly easy.

I have a single and a dual stage love controller and they work great... I do recommend the dual stage. I put it in a radio shack project box with an outlet.

Back