Which order to dry hop, cold crash, and d-rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddiek85

Reaction score
I have a recipe that says to ferment at 19c, then "dry hop post fermentation for 5 days at cellar temperatures (14c) for best results"

This is for an IPA and I was wondering which order to do the d-rest. This is what I had in mind, if someone could correct me please.

Ferment at 19c.
Raise temperature to ??c for 2-3 days for d-rest.
Lower temperature to 14c and dryhop
Wait for 5 days and then cold crash for 2 days
Keg

Would this be right? Is a d-rest necessary? The yeast I am using for it is US-05.

For my IPA's with US-05 I usually ferment at 68*F/20*C with no d-rest. Dry hop at fermentation temp and then cold crash

There is really no reason to drop the temperature before dry hopping. The hop oils will be extracted more efficiently at a higher temperature anyways. I ferment most of my IPA's at 66°F, then bump it a degree or two as fermentation is finishing. A D-rest really isn't necessary if your fermenting at that temperature with US-05, I just do it to make sure the yeast finishes all the way. Hold the temperature and dry hop 4-5 days, then crash for 2 days before kegging.

Back