Which Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paxsman

Reaction score
I am entering the all grain world. I need to get setup on a Mash Tun. I was wondering which way to go...round igloo or the rectangle cooler configuration. I am leaning towards the round igloo. What do most people use? I like the idea of a false bottom in the igloo.
Any recommendations on the false bottoms. If I go with the rectangle cooler any recommendations on a false bottom or is this a DIY project.
Thanks

I use the converted rubbermaind 10-gal cooler highlighted here. It cost me about $72 in materials to build, and it was pretty easy. The one 5/8" SS fender washer is hard to find, but if you have a Fastenal near you, they might have one. I just used a smaller washer and then Dremel tooled out the center until it fit.

The SS braid was really easy to make as well, and I've had no issues with stirring/draining etc. I looked at false bottoms and the square coolers, but this one was the cheapest and easiest for me...It gets my vote for sure!

I started with a round 5 gallon Igloo and a false bottom and switched to a 70qt. rectangular Coleman Xtreme and a copper manifold. The Coleman Xtreme works for my system since I use the no-sparge method. It'll also handle a large grain bill for 10 gallon batches when I brew with friends. Of course, at that point we use the batch sparge method.

That said, I still use the round Igloo for smaller batches.

I use a 10 gallon rubbermaid with mesh screen. Works really well. My buddy has a 60 something quart square cooler that works well when we do 10 gallon batches. Best of both worlds. I'd suggest figuring how big of a batch you plan to eventually want to brew. If it is more than 5 gallons I'd go bigger than the 10 gallon rubbermaid.

I'm thinking for now I will be brewing 5 gallon batches. When I have enough cash to build something fancy I will go to 10 gallon. So sounds like the igloo round will work. Are there any suggestions on a good false bottom or are they all about the same functionally.

you want to consider what sparging method you are planning on using. The beverage coolers are good for fly sparging becasue they tend to have deeper grain beds. at least that is my understanding.

I love my round cooler with a braid. I am going to make a manifold this Christmas vacation. The grain bed really sets up nice in a round tall structure and the dead space thing is sort of a misnomer. I drain slowly and have 0 liquid left in the bottom of my cooler. I never got that with a tube and the rectangular cooler.

If you do get a rectangular cooler, make sure to insulate the top. I didn't have that problem with the igloo. Basically, I am so happy with my igloo that I don't ever see a reason to not use a round cooler unless you are really worried about doing huge batches. Even at imperial levels I can fit about 18# of grain and about 1.25qt/lb mash water. It weighs a ton, but so did my rectangular cooler.

I also agree the Igloo/Gott coolers are the best way to go.HD has them fairly cheap. I started with a 5gal one braid....barely fit most of my beers....Upgraded to the 10 gal with false bottom... can do everything.I wouldn't waste any money on a round 5 gal...

I also agree the Igloo/Gott coolers are the best way to go.HD has them fairly cheap. I started with a 5gal one braid....barely fit most of my beers....Upgraded to the 10 gal with false bottom... can do everything.I wouldn't waste any money on a round 5 gal...

I don't know if there is a "best way" to go. It is preferred for you and many others, but maybe for others they think Square is better. I my self use a 10g round cooler w/ braid. i do 10gal bathes and I have to adjust grist / water ratio i.e thicker if I get a beer with and OG over 1.060. I have been pondering getting an addtional square cooler with a larger volume to use if I ever feel possessed to brew a HIGH OG beer in a 10gal batch, you never know. I personally see no use for a 5gal cooler, it would be very limiting and would have to be replaced if you ever wanted to move to 10gal batches. However, if the OP brews only 5gal batches and really likes lower ABV session beers it might be the right fit. IMO One can always use one or two circular pieces of 2" extruded foam insulation to eat up the head space in a 10gal tun if only doing 5gal beers. :mug:

I have both... a 5 gallon round Igloo, and a 12.5 gallon rectangular Coleman Extreme. Both have a copper manifold with slits on the bottom, so I can't speak on the false bottom. I will say though that I don't have a favorite between the two, it really comes down to what's the size of the grain bill and batch. If I can fit it in the 5 gallon, I will to reduce headspace, if not, the 12.5 works great as well. I will say that overall, I have probably used the 12.5 twice as much as the round, but that's because of the beers I tend to brew as opposed to performance. Ultimately, it just comes down to what you want, what type beers and batch size you want to brew, and what is the better deal.

Latest posts

Back