Which Mash Tun To Buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTownBrewer

Reaction score
I'm thinking about jumping over to PM/all grain now that I have 4 solid extract w/steeping grain batches under my belt. I currently can only do 5 gallon boils on my electric stovetop (with the lid on to get to a boil-with all grain I'd now be a little more concerned about dms), so I'll need to scale down my recipes for smaller batches. Most of my recipes are what I would call medium to high gravity brews...1.070-1.085.

My question is which mash tun to go with. Northern Brewer sells a ss 10 gallon mash tun/kettle with ball valve & thermometer for $250+. Midwest Supply sells a converted thermo-insulated igloo cooler with ss ball valve & ss false bottom for about $100 cheaper.

Which would you go with? Are there benefits to one over the other? I want to get something I can use if I ever get a good burner & make larger batches/high gravity brews. I'm thinking the converted igloo cooler would be best for the price since it holds temp better.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

If you go with the SS one, you'll have to have a burner for it and one for your kettle unless you are a strong juggler.

I say go with the cooler. They are less hassle. And as the Canuck says, you can build one.

I'd also advise going the cooler route... Easier to maintain the mash temperatures that way... Plus, that ~$100 you save can go towards something else (grain?)... :D

I'd also go that route. You will only get the most out of your SS tun if you have a whole slough of other stuff. If/when you go full bore into AG, the cooler will still be useful.

Golddiggie said:
I'd also advise going the cooler route... Easier to maintain the mash temperatures that way... Plus, that ~$100 you save can go towards something else (grain?)... :D

I like the way you think! Now if I can only get the SWMBO to sign off on that too.

Thanks for the input guys!

I'll need to scale down my recipes for smaller batches. Most of my recipes are what I would call medium to high gravity brews...1.070-1.085.
i cant do big boils ether but i do collect all my runnings in a bucket give it a good stir and split it into two 3 to 3.5 gallon boils splitting my hop additions and so on. i get a good hard boil also on my electric stove that way but it does add an extra 2 hours to the brew day cause im boiling and cooling twice..
I'm thinking the converted igloo cooler would be best for the price since it holds temp better.
+1

I like my 54 qt colman, just get a braid or manifold and a cooler conversion kit. I like the rectangular because it is shallower than the round ones, and makes it very easy to mix for dough in.

I like the way you think! Now if I can only get the SWMBO to sign off on that too.

Thanks for the input guys!

Just tell her that you're saving money this way AND you'll make great brew in the process... With how much easier it is with the cooler, you'll actually be able to make brews she'll also like...

I have a 70qt Coleman Xtreme (green) cooler that's my mash tun... I'm very comfortable in the knowledge that I can mash about 45# of grain at a single time in it...

Next (if you go with a cooler about the same size) will be a kettle/keggle that will allow you to boil 10 gallon batches... :rockin: I went with a 60qt aluminum stock pot, where I installed the ball valve myself... About $100 total spent on that kettle...

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to handy stuff, but I put together the 10gal Igloo MLT really easily.

If I were to build my own, should I go with a ss braid or false bottom? From my research, it looks like more people prefer the ss braid because they get less stuck sparges & clearer runnings.

i actually came off of my "T" fitting with 2 removable 90's and stick ss sponges(scrubbers) under each one... most perfer the braids but im makink a false botton with a heavy mesh ss screen in conjuction with my scrubbies..
RPPS775-2.jpg

Highly suggest a manifold. Is more consistent than the braid IMHO and a lot cheaper than the FB. Sits flush on the bottom and sucks the MLT dry.

I think I've decided on a custom ss braid due to the simplicity of it over the manifold.

I've got a ss cross fitting on order. One end will attach to the nipple & the other 3 to barb adapters. Then I'll curve one longer braid around the perimeter of the cooler bottom & connect at the right/left sides of the cross fitting. The other braid will attach to the center of the cross fitting & run straight across the diameter of the cooler floor. I figure this way I'll collect runnings from a larger surface area. The braids (about .6" inner diameter) will be reinforced with 1/2" outer diameter ss compression springs to prevent them from collapsing.

What do you guys think of the design? I'm trying to do the simplest, but most effective design. The cost is right in between doing a simple braid set-up & buying the preassembled cooler w/false bottom.

So here it is. Just did a 1 hr test & the temp only dropped 1.4 F, no leaks. I was worried because the outer diameter of my 5/8 washers was too big to fit in the indent by the spigot...just used an extra o ring to form the seal. Hopefully it holds up.

image-3305903474.jpg

image-948546817.jpg

HA! That looks a lot better than the MLT I made from a $5 cooler I found at a thrift store and that sucker has held up for a few years now. Yours will be fine!

Thanks. And with the money I saved from building my own (instead of buying the ss mash tun with thermometer & ball valve), I was able to buy ingredients for my raspberry brown, a propane burner, & an immersion chiller. Well worth it!

Back