Which Malt Will Add Most Unfermentables?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgoldb1

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing a post fermentation boil of some malts to add to a beer that turned out too dry. I was going to steep some crystal malt in about a gallon of water for 30min. Then boil it down to about a half gallon, chill and add it to the beer sitting in the fermenter. I need to know which type of malt would provide me with the most unfermentable sugars after steeping/boiling (C20/60/80...). I would assume that something like Crystal 135/165 would be what I'm looking for but was wondering if there's other malt that would add lots of unfermentable sugars also.

I understand that fermentation will most likely start again but I doubt the yeast will eat through all the crystal. If it's still too dry after a week I'll repeat. My IPA will most likely end up being a 14%+ barley wine but that's fine my me.

Not malt but wouldn't lactose be the better choice here as it would contribute unfermentables, for a less dry beer with more mouthfeel, without changing the colour?

+1 to the above. But are you looking for body + sweetness, or just body?

Dependong in the answer I'd suggest maltodextrin over lactose. Lactose adds a sweetness in addition to body, I don't get any perceived sweetness from maltodextrin, just added body.

Lactose is also an option also. I'm sort of at the point where I wan't to turn it into a barley wine. It's already at 9% at .998 and it's has a bit of an alcohol bite to it. I was thinking the darker malts would cover that up nicely.

WTF yeast did you use, or how much sugar, to get to .998??? I've never had Wyeast 3711 go THAT low, and that'll eat anything. A gravity that low screams infection to me.

Edit: if that's the case, you might have to go something artificial. Depending on the bugs, dextrins from grains, maltodextrin, or lactose, could all potentially be fermented.

WTF yeast did you use, or how much sugar, to get to .998??? I've never had Wyeast 3711 go THAT low, and that'll eat anything. A gravity that low screams infection to me.

I used WLP099, High Gravity yeast. I thought I got the San Diego Super Yeast but picked up the High Gravity by accident. By the time I realized on brew day it was too late.

I've never used that strain so I suppose I could be wrong, but I still wouldn't expect it to super-attenuate like that. Only things that have come close are either Wyeast 3711 which I've had well into 90% attenuation, and using Brett or bugs.

I've never used that strain so I suppose I could be wrong, but I still wouldn't expect it to super-attenuate like that. Only things that have come close are either Wyeast 3711 which I've had well into 90% attenuation, and using Brett or bugs.

It's a distillers yeast. It will take anything down to 1.000 or less especially if the SG is 1.065.

Huh. Well if that's gonna just mow through anything like that, I don't know if maltodextrin would be safe. I suppose lactose would be. But I doubt there's anything malt-based that'd work. I have no idea. Maybe someone with more experience with that strain can lend some further help.

Back