Which kit to go with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodsonNoles

Reaction score
Looking to move fully to all grain and have been looking at a few different all grain kits to purchase. Wasn't sure if there was a "favorite" or what that is recommended over others. Not looking to spend a ton with an upcoming wedding but I want it to handle everything. Thoughts on either of the two listed below? If there is one you recommend I'd love to check it out.

Northern Brewer (this one is on sale) - http://www.northernbrewer.com/fermenters-favorites-essential-all-grain-brewing-starter-kit-10-gallon

Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Gallon-4...926771?hash=item1ec056b4f3:g:AfIAAOSwoydWk9iq

I don't know that I'd get either. You can buy those coolers and build them yourself much cheaper than that. Are you set on both coolers being round? I went with a Coleman Xtreme 13 gallon rectangle for the mash tun, and the 10 gallon Home Depot water cooler for the hot liquor tank. Instead of a false bottom, I bought a mesh cooler bag from @wilserbrewer, a member here. If I get a stuck sparge, lift the bag slightly and I'm back in business. Clean up is easy too. I have under $150 spent on both coolers and the cooler bag.

Buy a Coleman extreme 70qt cooler from walmart and convert it using a mesh screen and ball valve. Total cost around $65-$75.

If you're in Eastern Washington I'll sell you mine.

I'm in agreement. I don't think I'd buy a kit. I use a rectangular cooler for the MLT and a 5 gal drink cooler for the HLT. I bought a bazooka screen on amazon for $10 and do batch sparges.

With a 10 gal round cooler MLT, you'd be hard pressed to brew an imperial stout. Also, with the lower profile of the rectangles, you don't have to go as high for the HLT to do a 3 tier gravity system.

I really wanted the round coolers, but I got my MLT used from a guy who was now brewing professionally and I'm glad I did.

Latest posts

Back